Sunday, January 31, 2010

Repentance - Chapter 4


CHAPTER 4:

The following two weeks were a complete whirlwind. I ended up seeing Edward several times at the library and we spent as much of the weekends together as we could. We couldn’t get enough of each other. He made me feel like a princess and Masen adored him. I felt like the luckiest girl in the world.

It was Monday night before Thanksgiving when I found Edward asleep in the library. I went up behind him and wrapped my arms around him, kissing him on the cheek. He didn’t open his eyes, he just grinned from ear to ear. “Bella.”

I laughed. “How did you know it was me?”

He sat up and laughed too. “I’d know that smell anywhere.”

“I smell?” I asked.

He laughed, “Yes, you smell incredible.”

“Oh.” I smiled and took the chair next to him. “How long have you been here? You look exhausted.”

“A couple of hours. I have a test tomorrow.”

“Alright, well, I’ll let you get back to studying.”

“I think I’ve done all I can. I’ll wait around for you though, so I can walk you home.”

I smiled. “Thank you, Edward. I’m going to sit over there. I shouldn’t be long,” I said, pointing across the room to a vacant table.

He shook his head and grabbed my hand and kissed it before I went to the other table. Edward and I learned right away that our trips to the library were highly unsuccessful if we tried to work at the same table.

I hurriedly did what I needed to do and went back to Edward’s table. “You ready?”

He gathered his things and stood up. “Yea, let’s get out of here.”

We walked hand in hand back to my apartment. Alice was ready to go as soon as I walked through the door.

“Sorry I’m late, Alice.”

“It’s no problem. Jasper has dinner waiting for me, and probably dessert!” She winked at me. “It’s good to you see again, Edward!”

“Likewise, Alice.”

“Masen was an angel, as usual. He’s sound asleep!”

I gave Alice a hug and walked her to the door. “Thank you.”

She kissed my cheek and was gone.

I set my things down and checked on Masen before returning to the living room to Edward.

“Have you eaten, baby?” I asked him while I headed into the kitchen to find something to eat.

“Not since lunch,” he said, coming up behind me and wrapping his arms around me. He kissed my cheek and I felt the butterflies erupt in my stomach.

I heated up some left over spaghetti for us and we both scarfed it down. Our busy schedules didn’t allow a lot of time for eating.

“That was good,” he said, as he took our plates back to the kitchen.

He caught me yawning when he came back into the living room.

“I guess I better let you get some rest,” he said, grabbing his things near the door.

I shook my head and got up to meet him at the door. He kissed my lips gently. “What does the rest of your week look like? When are you leaving to go home?”

“Home?” I asked.

“Thanksgiving. You’re going to spend it with your dad, right?”

“Oh, no. He has to work and I’m only off Thursday and Friday. Plus, he’d have to come get us and bring us back and it’s just more trouble than it’s worth. I’ll see him at Christmas, when I have more time.”

“Well you and Masen can’t stay here by yourselves on Thanksgiving.”

“Sure we can. We’ll be fine.”

“Absolutely not. Come with me,” he said, as he grabbed my hands.

“To your parents’ house?”

“Yea, Rose and I always bring someone. I’m sure she’ll bring that big idiot she’s dating.”

I laughed, “Well, I bet her big idiot doesn’t have an illegitimate child!”

“I wouldn’t doubt it,” Edward laughed.

I shook my head. “I don’t know, Edward.”

“Please? It will be better if I don’t have to go through it all by myself. We’ll make a weekend of it. I’ll get us a nice hotel in Portland. I’ll show you around and we can do fun stuff with Masen.”

“What do you mean if you don’t have to go through it by yourself? Is it bad?”

“Well, I mean, there’s just been a lot of tension between my parents and I since I decided not to go to medical school.”

“Oh, I see. I don’t know, Edward. I don’t want to impose, and besides, we’ve never even spent the night together. You have no idea how scary I am in the morning.”

He laughed loudly. “It can’t be that bad.” He brushed his lips against mine. “I don’t have class until 11:00 a.m. tomorrow. How about I spend the night tonight, and if I’m not scared of you in the morning, you agree to come with me for Thanksgiving.”

I sighed when he made his adorable pouty face. “Fine.” I gave in. “But don’t try anything, you know I share a very small room with Masen.”

“I wouldn’t dare,” he said as he sat his jacket and bag back down.

“Okay, well, I’m going to get ready for bed. Don’t go in my room until I get back, just in case Masen wakes up. I don’t want you to scare him.”

Edward laughed. “Yes ma’am.”

I went to my bedroom and tore through my dresser looking for something half decent to wear to bed. I couldn’t wear an old spit up stained t-shirt as usual. I finally settled on a black tank top and gray sleep shorts. Short sleep shorts. I went to the bathroom and changed clothes and brushed my teeth. When I went to cross the hallway to go back into my bedroom, something caught my attention in the living room.

“Oh my,” I said, noticing Edward standing in the living room in only a pair of plaid boxer shorts. My eyes went to his strong shoulders and I instantly wanted my hands on him. He wasn’t huge, but he was toned and perfect, and his happy trail made my knees shake.

“Is this okay? I can wear my clothes, if you prefer.”

I fumbled for words. “Um, no. I mean, yes. I mean, it’s okay. It’s okay. I may be the one who has the problem not trying anything.”

He laughed. “You’re so cute when you’re flustered, Bella.”

I blushed and reached my hand out for him to join me. I turned the light off and took his hand to lead him into my bedroom. “Be careful,” I said. “There isn’t a lot of space to walk.”

He followed me blindly into the dark and crawled in bed next to me. He was messing with the covers. “Shh! Be quiet for a second,” I said.

He froze and I listened intently for the soft sounds of Masen breathing.

“Okay,” I said, content.

“What was that about?” he asked.

“Sorry, it’s just an obsessive compulsive habit I have. I have to hear him breathing before I go to bed. I’ve been like that since the day he was born.”

Edward curled up behind me and kissed my cheek. “Goodnight, Bella.”

I smiled, enjoying his warmth next to me. “Goodnight.” I laid there awake for a while, and I wondered if he really wasn’t going to try anything. We had done nothing more than kiss and it was driving me crazy. Especially after seeing him in just boxers, I was dying to touch him. I realized he was asleep when I heard his breathing even out. I fell asleep wondering what his hands would feel like across my bare skin.

I was walking down a dark alley in Seattle. I could tell by the way my hands rested on my overgrown stomach that I was very pregnant. It started pouring rain. It was cold. I didn’t have an umbrella. I was lost. I couldn’t find my way through the maze of alleys. It felt like someone was following me, but when I turned around, no one was there. I started hearing footsteps behind me. I walked faster, eventually starting to run, feeling the baby moving inside me. I was completely out of breath when I hit the ground, face first. I was forced on my back by a masked man. He had a large knife and cut my stomach open with one slice. I screamed out in pain and tried to cover my wound with my hands. It was of no use, he was much stronger than me. I felt an intense amount of pressure and then I suddenly felt empty. I heard the cries of a baby. The man cut the umbilical cord with his knife and he took the baby and disappeared in the dark alley. I screamed for help, but no one came, and I just kept screaming.

“Bella! Bella! Wake up!”

I sat straight up in bed screaming. I realized where I was and that it was another nightmare. I silenced myself until I felt a hand on my back. I gasped and turned around.

“Bella, are you alright?” Edward asked.

I felt tears sting my eyes. I forgot he was there. “I’m sorry. I should have told you.”

“It’s okay, Bella.” He started to wrap his arms around me, but I pushed him away.

“Masen,” I said, getting out of bed and walking around to the other side of the room where his crib was. He had slept through it. He had been sleeping through my nightmares lately, but I still had to hold him before I could go back to sleep. I picked him up and held him against me for a few minutes before I was content. I kissed his head and carefully put him back in his crib.

“I’m sorry,” I said, as I got back in bed. I noticed the clock said 2:00 a.m. It was always around this time. “I have really bad nightmares sometimes. I should have warned you.”

He wrapped his arms around me tightly and I felt myself relax into him. “It’s okay, Bella. Would it help to talk about it?”

I turned from him quickly. “No. No. I can’t. I don’t want to talk about it,” I said, getting under the covers and laying on my side, facing away from him.

He cuddled up behind me, his body tracing mine, and he wrapped his arms around me again. He held me tighter than before. I felt safe.

He kissed my cheek. “You don’t have to talk about it.”

I exhaled. “Thank you.” I covered his hand that circled my waist with my own.

“Get some sleep, Bella.”

I shook my head and drifted off to sleep in his arms.

It seemed as if only minutes had passed when I heard the alarm going off. I smacked it quickly and started to climb out of bed when I felt Edward pulling me back. I smiled to myself, remembering he had stayed the night.

He pulled me against him and kissed my cheek. “You’re not even going to let me enjoy waking up next to you?” he teased.

I giggled and wrapped my arms around him. “Well, you are really warm.”

He smiled and pressed his lips gently to mine. “There is absolutely nothing scary about you in the morning. You’re beautiful,” he said, pulling a piece of my hair behind my ear.

I felt the butterflies in my stomach start dancing. I just grinned at him, because I didn’t know what else to do.

He laughed at me. “I can tell you’re blushing, even though it’s pitch black in here.”

I playfully nudged him and started to get out of bed. “I have to get in the shower. Masen’s still asleep, he should sleep until I get out.”

Edward shook his head before rolling over and going back to sleep.

I spent nearly half an hour in the bathroom. My shower only took a few minutes, it was my hair that was the problem. Normally I just pulled it up wet and let it dry, but because Edward was here, I wanted to wear it down. I spent nearly twenty minutes blow drying it. I finally got concerned about my electric bill and turned the blow dryer off. It was still a little damp, but it would do.

Crap! I thought to myself. I didn’t bring my clothes in here. I’m going to have to go out there in a towel! I made sure the white towel around me was secure before I opened the bathroom door and ventured across the hall into my bedroom. I was hoping Edward was still asleep and I could grab something out of my closet without waking him.

Needless to say, I was a little shocked by the sight that awaited me in my bedroom. Edward was sound asleep, and Masen was laying on his stomach, sleeping on Edward’s bare chest. Edward had pulled a sheet over him and Masen and tucked it in between their bodies. Edward’s hand rested lazily on Masen’s back. It was the sweetest sight I’d ever seen. If I had a camera, I would’ve taken a picture.

I tiptoed to the other side of the room to find something to wear in my closet. As I opened the bifold doors, they squeaked loudly and I turned around to see if I woke Edward.

I was surprised to see him staring back at me, with his mouth hanging open.

“Definitely not scary,” he laughed.

I laughed too. “I meant to take some clothes with me to the bathroom.”

“Well, I’m glad you forgot.”

I shot him a warning glare and he laughed. “You two look cozy,” I said, referring to him and Masen, who was still asleep on his chest.

Edward looked down at Masen and then back to me. “Yea, he woke up when you started drying your hair. He was crying, so I didn’t know what to do. I picked him up and he went right back to sleep, and then so did I,” he laughed.

“Thanks for getting him.” I smiled as I took a change of clothes to the bathroom. I got dressed and put on a little bit of make-up before heading out to the kitchen to make breakfast. I got Masen’s cereal ready and my pop-tart when I thought about Edward. I don’t have anything decent to eat here!

I went back to the bedroom when I heard Masen laughing.

Edward was making funny faces at Masen and Masen was loving it. “Okay kiddies, it’s time for breakfast!” I laughed.

Masen reached for me, “Mamma!”

I picked him up and kissed him. “Morning sweet boy! Edward, I’d make you breakfast, but I’m kind of overdue on a trip to the grocery store. I do have pop-tarts though,” I laughed. “Unless you want to stay in bed. You can sleep if you want, just lock the door behind you when you leave.”

Edward grinned. “I love pop-tarts! And don’t be silly, I’ll take you to work so you don’t have to take the bus.”

I shook my head at him. “You are seriously spoiling me.”

“Nah, if I were spoiling you, I would have already bought you a car!”

I playfully rolled my eyes at him. He crawled out of bed and kissed me on the forehead and then kissed Masen. Every time he touched Masen it amazed me. It was like he actually cared about this kid that had nothing to do with him. Every time he did things like that, it melted my heart. It had only been a couple of months, but I constantly felt myself falling head over heels in love with Edward Cullen.

We ate our breakfast and Edward got dressed while I got Masen ready.

Once outside, I laughed when I remembered Masen’s car seat was still in Edward’s car, and had been since our second date.

As if reading my mind, “Might as well just keep it in here,” he said as he put Masen in the car seat.

When he came out of the car, he was grinning at me with that crooked smile and it made me feel like I could fly. “Why? You planning on sticking around for a while?” I teased.

He wrapped his arm around my waist, pulling me to him. He kissed me and whispered against my lips, “Yes, if it’s alright with you.”

All I could do was smile and shake my head.

We dropped Masen off at daycare and then Edward took me to work. He pulled up right outside the office and Jessica was outside smoking a cigarette.

“Oh God, you have to work with her?” he said, referring to Jessica.

I laughed. “Yea, you know her?”

“We had a class together last semester. She’s so annoying.”

I sighed. “She sure is. I’m pretty sure she’s screwing the senior partner’s son, so as soon as she passes the bar, she’ll be our newest associate.”

“Who isn’t she screwing?” Edward joked.

I hit him playfully and leaned over to kiss him. “I have to go.” His hand caressed my cheek. Our lips met again and stayed linked together a bit longer than usual.

“Mmm,” he said against my mouth, slowly pulling away. “I won’t be at the library this week, I have to work tonight and I have night class tomorrow.”

I stuck my bottom lip out, pretending to pout.

He laughed at me. “I propose I pick you and Masen up Wednesday night and you can spend the night with me and we’ll leave Thursday morning for Portland.”

I smiled. “Okay.” I kissed him again. And again. I couldn’t get enough of him. I couldn’t get the image of him in his boxers eating a pop tart out of my mind. I accidentally laughed out loud at the thought.

“What are you laughing at?” he asked.

“Nothing!” I grinned. “Be good; I’ll miss you.”

His face lit up when I said that. “Bye, Bella. I hope you have a good day.”

“Thank you!” I got out of the car and went inside, Jessica Stanley was right on my heels.

“Okay, Swan. Spill it,” Jessica barked.

“Spill what?” I asked as I sat down at my desk. She rolled her eyes and I smiled to myself.

“Um...you were just kissing Edward fucking Cullen.”

“And?” I responded.

“And he’s only the most wanted first year law student. Girls throw themselves at him daily, and you, Bella Swan! You’re dating him?!”

I know, it was hard for me to believe too. “Yup,” I said coyly, smiling.

“What the hell? I totally don’t get that, and you have a kid.”

“Well, I heard he doesn’t like loose girls, like you.”

I swear I heard her jaw hit the floor. “Wha...what do you mean?!” she scoffed.

“Matt.” That’s all I had to say. Nobody was supposed to know she was boinking the senior partner’s son.

“Keep your mouth shut, Swan,” she spat at me.

Oh, did I forget to mention, he’s married? I held up my hands and silently acted as if I were zipping my lips and throwing away the key. She stomped off in a frenzy.

I smiled to myself momentarily before her words sank in. He’s the most wanted first year law student. Girls throw themselves at him daily.

I sighed. That’s a little unnerving, I thought. I made a mental note to ask him about it.


***Author’s Note: Hope you enjoyed this chapter. There should be another one coming soon!
Reviews/comments are welcome!

Follow me on Twitter! @ AllOrNothingKR

**CHAPTER 5 - CLICK HERE**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am dying for updates on ALLLLLL of your fics!! :(