Monday, November 2, 2009

Never Think - Chapter 5

Never Think Banner

Chapter 5:

I was going to try to make it to L.A. this weekend without anyone knowing I ever left my hotel room.

I called Taylor's room. I would need his help.

"Hello?"

"Hey Taylor, it's Kristen."

"Hey girl, what's up?"

"Can you come down to my room for a few minutes? I need to talk."

"Yea, sure. I just got out of the shower, give me a few minutes okay?"

"Kay, thanks buddy." I hung up.

I heard him knock on the door 20 minutes later. I let him in and peaked out into the hallway to see if anyone had seen him.

"So what's going on?" Taylor asked as he plopped down on the couch in his gray sweat pants and white t-shirt.

I took a deep breath. "I need help with something."

I continued to tell him everything. I would need his help covering for me while I was gone, for him to tell people he had seen me, and that I wasn't well and I just needed to rest. He promised me he wouldn't say anything to Rob about my real whereabouts.

"Kristen this is crazy," he said. "But, I mean, I've got your back."

I leaned over and gave him a big hug. "Thank you Taylor, seriously. You're the only one I can trust."

He shook his head. "No problem, I hope this little excursion will help you figure out where your heart is."

I sighed. "Me too."

"Although, I think it should be with Mike."

"You do?" I asked.

"Yea, I mean, Rob's great and all, but everything is working against you both. I just don't see it working out for you guys long term. I mean, you would never have a real relationship, outside of the media."

"I know, I've been thinking about that too. But when I'm with him, none of that matters. It's so different with him, than it is with Mike."

"Well of course it is, he's the forbidden fruit, he's excitement, he's everything your mother warned you about."

I laughed and shook my head. "He's a good guy."

"I know he is, but he still represents danger, thrills and excitement, that you don't have with Mike. But let's say you break up with Mike, and you can be with Rob freely, do you lose that excitement for him? Is there enough there between you two to make it work?"

"Yes, I think so. Mike's my best friend though. We've practically grown up together, he made me into a woman, he's taught me everything I know, I just can't imagine him not being in my life."

Taylor shook his head. He squeezed my knee. "Tough situation Kris, I don't envy you, but I'll help in any way I can."

"Thanks Tay."



The next few days passed pretty quickly. I didn't see Rob except for when we were on set. We talked a little here and there, but we kept our distance. We agreed we didn't need to risk being caught by the paparazzi. I started to "get sick" on set on Thursday. It really worked out perfectly. It rained all day and it was cold, perfect weather to fake an illness. I coughed and sneezed all day. I called the director late Thursday night and told him there was no way I would make it Friday. I told him I was taking a few days off to rest and I'd be back on set on Sunday. He was frustrated, but understood and he would re-work the schedule and shoot scenes without me.



It was early Friday morning, I opened the box that arrived from my mom the day before. A pair of flare jeans, brown stiletto heel boots, a long wool brown sweater and a red wig. Kristen Stewart would never wear this stuff. Perfect. I got dressed in my disguise and put on a pair of sunglasses to finish it off. I got a big gucci hand bag and filled it up and packed a small rolling suitcase. I was definitely 5 inches taller with these boots, there was no way I'd be recognized. I called a cab and headed downstairs. The rest of the cast should have already been on set, so I didn't have to worry about running into anyone. I took a deep breath as the automated glass doors opened and I walked out into the covered drive where my cab waited. The paparazzi were everywhere, but they weren't looking at me, they were on their cell phones. Some of them glanced up at me and then quickly went back to what they were doing. I didn't hear a single camera click. Perfect!



The plane landed and I immediately turned my phone on to let Mike know I had arrived. I warned him of the red wig, he seriously wouldn't recognize me. After I shut my phone it beeped again. I flipped it open.

I heard you were sick, I'm sorry. :( Let me know if there is anything I can bring you. I miss you. - Rob

I sighed. Damn it. If I pulled this weekend off, it would be a miracle.

I met up with Michael just outside of baggage claim. He didn't even recognize me.

"Whoa." He said. "That's good Kris, I never would have recognized you!" He started to hug me.

"Not now." I whispered. "Let's get out of here."

We made it to Mike's car without anyone recognizing us. We headed to my condo. I owned a condo in L.A. and rarely stayed there unless I wanted to get away from my family. I unlocked the door and Mike followed behind me. I tried cleaning things up a bit. "God, it's a mess in here. I don't know when I was last here. I need to get a maid!" I laughed.

Mike came up behind me and stopped me. He wrapped his arms around me. "Take all this shit off." He said as he pulled at my red hair. "I want to see Kristen."

"What? You don't think this look is sexy?" I laughed. "You're only saying that because these heels make me taller than you!"

He laughed and started pushing me back towards my bedroom. I fell back on the bed and pulled my wig off and let my hair down. "Is this better?" I asked.

He came over to me, climbed on top of me, and his lips gently pressed against mine. His arms wrapped around me, and mine around him. "I missed you." He said.

"I've missed you too." I kissed him this time. I had missed him. I'd missed this. It was so comfortable with him in a way, in that way that old married couples are comfortable. It wasn't exciting like it was with Rob, but it was safe, and I was content. I felt his lips trailing down my neck. An image of Rob flashed in my mind. An image of him doing this to me, kissing down my neck, my hands in his messy hair, my hips arching, trying to find his excitement. I had arched my hips against Michael without thinking. There was no excitement there, not that I could feel anyway. Rob was a little...more endowed so to speak. He must have taken that as a sign as his hands hurriedly began undoing my belt.

I grabbed his hands, to stop him. "No, wait, not now. I...I'm starving. Let's get something to eat." I sat up, pushing him off of me.

He sat beside me, frustrated. "I thought you wanted it."

"I'm hungry baby, let's get something to eat first." I reached for his hand. I pulled him off the bed and headed towards the door. There were a few little cafes within walking distance that I thought we would be okay in. Nobody knew I was here anyway.



We had just finished lunch and Mike had gone to the restroom. I felt my phone vibrating and I pulled it out to look at it. Two texts from Taylor and two from Rob.

Going good so far, did you make it to L.A.? - Taylor

I'm getting a break from shooting soon, I want to come see you. How are you feeling? - Rob

Okay, this is getting tough. I'm losing track of my own lies. Rob is seriously too smart for this shit. Are you alive?? - Taylor

Kristen, I want to see you. I need to see you. I'll come by and bring you some soup, cough drops, tissues, do you need anything? - Rob

Oh my God. I thought to myself. This is insane. I texted them both back quickly before Mike returned to the table.

Taylor, you're doing good. I made it to L. A. I'll take care of Rob. Thank you again, I owe you.

Rob, I'm really not feeling well. I just want to sleep. I don't want you to get sick too. Stay as far away from me as you can, this is miserable.

Just as I put my phone back in my pocket Mike returned to the table. "You ready babe?" He threw some cash on the table and reached for my hand. I took it, standing to leave with him. As soon as we walked out onto the street I saw two men across the street with cameras waiting. Paparazzi. "Shit!" I turned my head to face Michael as I heard the cameras clicking. I instantly dropped Mike's hand. I picked up the pace and was inside the comforts of my condo's lobby in no time.

I sighed in relief as we headed up to my condo. We got in and I plopped down on the couch, Mike followed suit.

"So, I get that you snuck out of Vancouver..." He started. "But, why, when you saw the cameras, did you let go of my hand?"

Uh oh. Whoopsie. "I did?" I asked, trying to play dumb.

"Yea, you dropped it like you had just been caught doing something you weren't supposed to."

"What the hell is that supposed to mean?" I asked. It was like he was insinuating something.

"I don't know, you tell me." He looked away from me then.

"I'm not dealing with this shit Michael. You're so insecure!" I yelled. "Help yourself out. I'm taking a nap." I walked back to my room and slammed the door. I listened quietly, waiting for the front door to close, and for him to be gone.

After I heard the front door close I went back to my living room. I looked out the window that faced the main street. Now there were five men with cameras, all taking pictures of Michael leaving my place. "Fuck me." I thought. I went back to my room and grabbed my laptop. I wanted to see the pictures first, to see how much explaining I was going to have to do.

I lingered around, cleaned up a bit and waited. In a way, it was nice, to be home alone, nobody knowing I was here.

My phone started ringing a couple of hours later. It was my agent. I didn't answer. "Let the fun begin!" I said to myself. I sat down again in front of my computer and searched for the pictures. I didn't have to search hard. "Ugh." It was so obvious. There were pictures of us going into the cafe and coming out, holding hands at first. I must not have been paying attention when I went in, but I swear I didn't see anybody. How did they know I was here?? Someone had to of tipped them off, but the only person who knew I was here was...Mike. He wouldn't do that.

I called my mom.

"Hey Kris." She answered.

"Hey mom. Have you seen the pictures?" I felt tears begin to sting my eyes.

"No baby, what happened? Your agent has called here several times looking for you.

I sighed. "Mike and I got caught having lunch, and then we got in a fight. He left, well I told him to leave. How did they know I was here?? Someone had to of tipped them off. Mike is the only one that knew!"

"I don't know Kristen. I mean, even your father doesn't know."

"Ugh, maybe Mike did do it. Maybe he wanted us to get caught, so it would get back to Rob. He doesn't trust me at all, I can tell."

"Should he trust you?" My mother asked sternly.

"Mom!" She didn't know Rob and I had slept together, but she did know I was crazy about him.

"I'm just saying Kristen, your toying with these boys hearts, they're bound to get crazy."

I heard a beep on the line. I pulled my phone back from my ear to see the caller id. It was Mike. I'm not answering.

"I am not toying with their hearts, they are toying with mine!"

My mom laughed at my attempt to not make it seem like such a big deal. "Kristen, they've both declared their love for you, nobody is toying with you. You just have to make up your mind, and soon, before you lose them both."

Lose them both? I hadn't really thought of that before. "Mom, I gotta go, I don't want to talk about it anymore."

"Okay Kris, I understand. Call your agent please, you've got some explaining to do."

"Ugh. Okay. Love you." I hung up. I went back to my room and laid across my bed on my stomach. I had no idea what I was going to do or say. My life was spiraling out of control. My phone rang again. It was Mike. I flipped open my phone and held the speaker to my mouth. "I DON'T WANT TO TALK TO YOU!" I hung up. I really didn't feel like dealing with his incessant apologies. I am pretty convinced he tipped the paps off to me being here. I threw my phone across the bed and laid my head down.

I didn't even realize I had fallen asleep until I heard the faint sounds of my phone ringing an hour later. I looked up. "Ugh." I groaned, searching for my phone. I found it under some covers. "Huh?" I looked at the screen. It was Mike's mom calling. "That's odd. He's using his mom to get to me now? That's unusual, he doesn't normally bring her into our problems, and she rarely calls me."

"Hello?"

"Um...Hi Kristen, it's Michael's mom."

She sounded nervous, or upset or something. "Yeah, hey Mrs. Angarano, how are you?"

She was quiet. "Uh, Kristen, he doesn't know I'm calling you..."

She sounded like she had been crying. I interrupted her. "What's going on?"

"I'm sorry to bother you, I know you two got into an argument earlier today, but he really needs you right now Kristen." She started crying harder.

What the hell? She was silent now, all I could hear were her muffled sniffles. "Mrs. Angarano? Are you okay?"

She sighed heavily. "Kristen, my brother, Mike's uncle, he was killed in a car accident this morning."

Oh. My. God. No! My heart sank, it broke for him. Mike was so close to his uncle and so was his mom. I mean, him and his uncle were more like brothers. I didn't know what to say. I stuttered. "Mrs. Angarano I...I'm so sorry. I will...I'll call Mike right now. I'm sorry, please let me know if I can do anything else."

"Thank you Kristen." I could hardly understand her. She hung up softly.

I feel like such a bitch! His mom was so great, here she is grieving the loss of her brother, and she is more concerned about Mike. I called him immediately. I could tell he had picked up the phone, but he didn't say anything. "Mike? I...I'm so sorry baby." I nearly started crying myself.

"Can I come over?" He asked. "I have to get out of here."

"Yes, of course you can." I answered quickly. It's strange how something so tragic makes you completely forget about the stupid things you were mad at him about hours earlier. They were so petty in the grand scheme of things.

"Thanks Kris, I'll see you in a bit." He hung up.

I took a deep breath and fought back tears. I don't think I can deal with anything else right now. As if on cue, my phone rang.

Rob.

The hot tears finally escaped the confines of my eyes. I’m sure he’d seen the pictures, or someone had told him about it by now. I couldn't lie to him anymore. He deserved better.

"Hello?"

"Kristen." He said my name softly, pleadingly. "What is going on? Where are you?"

The way he said it let me know that my gig was up. Hearing the hurt in his voice, it felt like someone was pulling my heart right out of my chest. "Rob." I cried. "I'm so sorry. I know we need to talk, but I can't go into right now. Something terrible has happened."

"Are you okay?" He asked.

"Yes, no, I don't know! I'm so confused and I'm going to be in big trouble with Summit." I paced back and forth across my living room. "I'm so stressed out, I can't deal with this anymore!"

I heard him take a deep breath. "Kristen...I don't know what is going on, I don't know why you are pushing me away, but please don't do this. Talk to me." He begged.

"I...I can't do this right now." I whispered.

"Kristen, please! Don't hang up."

He knew me too well. "Rob, please, just give me some time to sort things out in my head, okay?"

His voice was painful, full of emotion. "Are you changing your mind about choosing me?" He asked quietly.

"Rob, don't make me do this right now. Mike really needs me." I cried.

Click. He hung up. I broke down. I fell to my knees in the middle of my living room with my head in my hands. I was so confused.

**CHAPTER 6 - CLICK HERE**

No comments: