Sunday, April 4, 2010

Repentance - Chapter 9


CHAPTER 9:

**Bella POV**

I was sitting anxiously on the couch waiting for Edward to come back inside. I wondered what Rose meant about her father. Was Mr. Cullen not Rose’s father? I was so confused and I couldn’t ask him about it because I didn’t want him to know I was listening.

Edward came back inside a few moments later. He explained everything I already knew, except whatever was said outside. I told him the law firm I worked for had a satellite office in Olympia and maybe I could help her out. He told me to look into it.

The following morning, when Edward was in the shower, his cell rang. I saw from the caller id that it was Rosalie. I knew I shouldn’t, but I answered it.

“Hello?” I answered.

“Bella?”

“Yes, I’m sorry, Edward is in the shower.”

“Oh. Okay. Did he tell you what is going on?”

I wasn’t sure what to say. “Yes, he did. I’m sorry you’re going through such a rough time.”

“Thanks. Well, I was just calling to tell him I got the money and thanks.”

“I’ll be sure to let him know.”

“Thanks, Bella. Oh, and maybe we can do lunch sometime. You’re familiar with this whole motherhood thing. I have no idea what I’m doing or what I’ll need. It’s really overwhelming.”

I laughed. “I completely understand.”

“Great, and you may not want to mention it to Edward. Somehow I think he wouldn’t want us having girl time.”

I laughed. “I think you’re probably right. I’ll get your number from his phone and I’ll call you this week, we can set something up.”

“Sound good, I’ll talk to you then.”

I hung up the phone and just stared at it blankly. I couldn’t understand why she was suddenly being so nice to me. Maybe it was the baby thing.

I heard Edward come out of the bathroom and it startled me. I set his phone down quickly.

“Your sister called. She got the money and she says thank you, again.”

“Hmm. Okay. Weird. She’s being awfully nice.”

“I think she’s probably just grateful.”

“I doubt it. She’s just sucking up to get what she wants,” Edward said.

“Edward!” I warned. “She’s your sister. Cut her some slack.”

He scoffed and went back to his bedroom to get dressed.

***

It was my last day of work before Christmas break. I was so frustrated that I hadn’t got to have lunch with Rosalie yet. We had spoken a few times, but something always got in the way of us meeting up. It was usually Edward.

I was standing outside the office waiting for him to pick me up. He had kept Masen so Alice could head of town early with Jasper. It was freezing cold outside and Edward was late. That’s not like him. I picked up my cell to call him.

“Hey, where are you?”

“I’m sorry, we’re sitting in traffic. We did some Christmas shopping today,” Edward said.

I laughed. “Oh, Lord. How did that go? Masen didn’t throw a fit for everything in the store?”

Edward laughed. “Let’s just say it wasn’t his kind of store.”

“Oh, no! Just hurry up, I’m freezing!”

“Alright, I’ll see you in a bit.”

I had no idea what Edward was up to. I don’t think it really mattered what I said, I was pretty sure he was going to spend entirely too much money on me for Christmas.

They showed up a few minutes later and we headed back to Edward’s apartment. We were driving out to Forks that night and spending the night at Charlie’s.

It took us almost four hours to get there. Between Masen’s attempts at singing and Edward laughing, my head was pounding. I wanted to crawl in bed and pass out.

I knocked on the door lightly before pushing it open. “Charlie? We’re here,” I yelled as we entered.

“Bells!” He got off the couch and came to greet us at the door.

“Papa!!” Masen yelled. I put Masen down and he ran to Charlie.

“Jesus, Bells! What are you feeding him? He’s huge!” Charlie picked him up.

Edward and I laughed. “Yea, he’s growing like a weed. Dad, this is Edward.”

Charlie reached out to shake Edward’s hand. “Hello, Edward.”

“Mr. Swan. It’s a pleasure to meet you.”

“I hear you’ve been taking real good care of Bella and Masen.”

“Dad...” I warned.

Edward laughed. “I try. Your daughter can be awfully stubborn at times.”

I nudged Edward in the side. Charlie laughed. “Don’t I know it!”

We got settled in and even though it was getting late, we were starving. I made chili and everyone was thoroughly stuffed before bed.

I was a little surprised when Charlie offered to let Masen sleep with him.

“Are you sure, Dad? I mean, we’re pretty used to him sleeping in the same room with us.” I thought about that for a moment. “I mean, not that we sleep in the same room all the time...” I blushed. I had never had a boy sleep in my childhood bed.

Charlie and Edward laughed. “I’m sure, I missed the little guy. But, that doesn’t give you two the right to fool around in my house.”

I hung my head, embarrassed. We all made our way upstairs. Charlie and Masen went to their room and Edward and I went to mine.

I sat on the bed while Edward inspected my room decor. “I haven’t been here in a long time.”

“It’s interesting to see how you were.”

He was looking at pictures of me and my friends from high school, some of me and Jake from the beach. There was one of us kissing.

“Who’s this?”

I laughed. “My high school boyfriend, Jake.”

Edward gave me a curious eye. “I’ve never heard about him.”

“There’s not much to tell. We were best friends. We were better off as friends. He never made me feel the way you do.” I whispered.

“Is that right?” Edward asked, turning around.

I nodded my head and smiled innocently. He joined me on the bed. We both fell back, lost in a passionate kiss.

“God, I want you,” I breathed.

Edward laughed. “I want you too, but I’m not being intimate with you in this room, in your father’s house. I have manners.”

I giggled. “Screw manners!”

“Not a chance, Ms. Swan.”

I pouted as he got off of me and went to change clothes. I was exhausted. I changed into my pajamas too. I’m not sure who fell asleep first, but we were both out in a matter of minutes.

I had a nightmare that night. It had been a little while since I had one. It was like I was being raped all over again, except the cloth wasn’t in my mouth. I could scream. In my dream I screamed and yelled, begging for my assailant to stop.

“Bella! Bella! Wake up!” Edward demanded.

I sat straight up in bed, struggling to catch my breath. Charlie burst through my door. “What’s going on?”

“I’m sorry.” I got off the bed and ran to the bathroom.

I could head Edward and Charlie talking.

“What was that about?” Charlie asked.

“She had a bad dream.”

“That sounded like one hell of a dream,” Charlie said.

“She has them all the time.”

“She never had them when she lived here. I’ve never heard her wake up screaming like that.”

I swung the bathroom door open. “Dad! I’m fine. Stop it. It was just a bad dream. I’m sorry I woke everyone. Go back to bed.”

Charlie went back to his room, shutting the door. I went back into mine.

I sat on the bed next to Edward. “I’m sorry.”

He pulled me down next to him. “It’s okay, Bella. Don’t worry about it.”

He held me tighter than before. He fell back to sleep quickly. I never closed my eyes again. It scared me how much those dreams could seem so real. They brought everything back that I never wanted to remember.

Needless to say, I was up very early the next morning. I snuck into Charlie’s room and grabbed Masen. I wanted some alone time with my boy for a change. We sat in the living room watching cartoons for a good hour before I decided to get up and make breakfast. Charlie woke up as soon as I started cooking. Edward would’ve slept right through it if I hadn’t of made him get up. Charlie wanted to take Masen fishing. He invited Edward and I, but I didn’t want to go. It was too cold. I bundled Masen up from head to toe and sent him off with Charlie. Edward and I went to Port Angeles to finish some Christmas shopping and we wrapped presents when we got back.

“I’m starting to get worried. I thought they would’ve been back by now,” I said to Edward as I began getting dinner ready.

“I’m sure they’re fine.”

I continued with dinner. We had a full spread. I made a turkey, mashed potatoes, cornbread dressing, salad and rolls.

“Look who rolled in to town!” I heard Charlie say as he came through the door. I turned around to see my mom coming in behind him.

“Oh my gosh! Mom!” I ran to her gave her a big hug. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m only in town for the night. I wanted to surprise you. I missed you so much. Masen is getting so big.”

“I missed you too.” I stood back. “Mom, this is Edward.”

“Hi, Edward. It’s nice to meet you. I’ve heard so much about you.”

Edward smiled and looked at me quizzically. I grinned back at him.

“It’s nice to meet you as well, Renee.”

“Bella was right, you sure are handsome!”

“Mom!” I hit her in the arm. “Cut it out.”

We all laughed and got Renee settled in before we had dinner. It was the most perfect Christmas dinner I could ever remember. My mom and dad together, my son, and the perfect boyfriend. I couldn’t ask for anything else. I was so happy.

We spent the night watching Christmas movies in front of the big screen and eating ice cream and cookies. I let Renee and Masen take my bedroom that night. Edward and I squeezed in together on the couch.

The following morning was Christmas eve. We had a big breakfast together and then headed back to Seattle. We dropped Renee off at the airport on the way.

I hadn’t slept well at all while we were gone and I was so exhausted. Edward dropped me and Masen off at my apartment and he went back to his place to get Masen’s presents.

Edward didn’t come up with us. I was surprised to see a letter slipped between my door. I went inside, unpacked and started a load of a laundry. I read Masen a story and put him down for a nap. I laid down and slept for about an hour. I got up and finished my laundry before remembering the letter that was in the door.

I went back to the living room and opened the letter I had previously discarded on the coffee table. It was from my building manager. I was making too much money to keep my apartment. I had be out in 30 days, I no longer qualified to live here.

My head was spinning. What was I going to do? I knew with my raise I got a few months ago it would probably disqualify me, but that didn’t mean I made enough to live anywhere else, not in the city anyways. I threw the letter across the room and cried. Why would they give this to me on Christmas eve! I was pacing back and forth across the room when Edward knocked on the door. I didn’t even want to deal with him and his handouts.

I opened the door.

“Baby, what’s wrong?” he asked, as he came in with arms full of wrapped gifts. He set them down by the tree, seeing the letter nearby on the floor. He picked it up and read it.

“Is this what you’re upset about, Bella?”

I nodded my head. “How could they do this on Christmas eve! I can’t afford anything else. I don’t know what we’ll do.”

He came over to me and hugged me. “I know you don’t want to hear it, but you know I wouldn’t let you and Masen be out on the street.”

“I know, you just do too much as it is, Edward!” I cried.

He was quiet for few moments.

“Well, what if I transfer to a two bedroom apartment in my building. You and Masen can move in with me. We’re together most of the time anyway.”

“No, that’s such a burden on you.”

“No, it’s not. Stop being silly, Bella. I love you...and Masen.”

I sighed. I really had no idea what else I would do. “Only if you let me pay half the rent.”

Edward laughed and hugged me tighter. “You’re so stubborn, Bella. How about a third of the rent? Half of the rent would probably be three times what you’re paying here.”

“A third of the rent and half of the utilities,” I countered.

“Deal.”

“So, we’re moving in together?” I asked, not sure what I had just agreed to.

“We are.” Edward smiled.

“That was fast. Are you sure about this?”

“Bella, I’ve never been more sure of anything.”

I grinned and leaned up to kiss him. Although I hated him spending money on me, he made me so happy. I don’t know what kind of shape I’d be in if I had never met him.

He grabbed my left hand and kissed my ring finger. “One day, I’m going to put a ring on this finger and give you everything you’ve ever dreamed of and you won’t be allowed to say no.”

I stopped breathing. Bella Cullen. I could get used to that. I laughed and kissed him. “You’ve already given me everything I’ve ever dreamed of. I love you.”

We lingered a bit longer before Edward pulled away. “I’ve got to get more stuff from the car.”

We hid Masen’s gifts from Santa in the linen closet.

“So, if all of Masen’s gifts are in the closet, what is all this under the tree?” I asked.

Edward laughed. “Don’t worry about it, Bella. Santa was good to you this year.”

“Edward Cullen! All of this better not be for me!”

“What if it is?” he asked.

“Then you’re in trouble!”

He walked up to me, wrapping his arms around me. We fell into the wall behind us. “I like the sound of that,” he said as he kissed me.

I laughed and pushed him away. Masen started yelling for me so I went to get him from his crib.

We spent the rest of the evening watching more movies and baking cookies for Santa. Masen was wired and we didn’t get him to sleep until after 11:00 p.m. Edward and I had wine with our cookies instead of milk and we both had the giggles. We tried to quietly get Masen’s presents from the closet but we kept dropping stuff and tripping over our selves. We were exhausted by the time we finished, shortly after 1:00 a.m. We sat against the couch eating Santa’s cookies.

“Let’s do our Christmas now, so we can be alone and focus on Masen in the morning,” Edward suggested.

I laughed. “Why? Did you get me something that wasn’t child friendly?”

“Maybe,” Edward grinned.

I raised my eyebrows at him. “Where do I start?”

Edward laughed and we both ran over to the tree. I had several more gifts than he did. The room was dark, with the exception of the lights on the tree and it reminded me of being a child early on Christmas morning.

I got through the first several gifts. Edward had bought me some lovely pajamas from Victoria’s Secret. There were two silk nightgowns and a pair of cute flannel pajamas. He got me a multitude of gift cards to various places around town. I had no idea when I’d have the time to do this much shopping. He also got me a digital camera which I was super excited about. I was so glad I’d have pictures of this Christmas with Masen.

I got Edward a few books I knew he was interested in as well some clothes. I couldn’t afford much, but my favorite thing I gave him was a card I made. It wasn’t so much the card, but what it said inside. He opened it last.

Edward,

You came into my life when I felt like I had nothing. You’re the most generous man I’ve ever met. You make me smile and laugh. You’re always patient with me and always surprising me. You showed me what it was like to live again. You selflessly watch after my son as if he were your own. I’ll never be able to give you all that you’ve given me, but please know how appreciated it is. I love you so much. Merry Christmas, Baby!

Love,
Your Bella

“Bella, that’s so sweet. Thank you. It means a lot.”

He leaned over and hugged me. “I love you, Edward.”

He smiled and kissed my cheek. “I love you, Bella. There’s one more thing.”

I pulled away. “What?” I asked.

He pulled out a square box, about the size of my hand from behind his back.

“Sorry it’s not wrapped. I ran out of paper and I picked it up on the way here.”

I smiled. “I don’t care if it’s not wrapped.” When he put the box in my hand, I realized what I was holding. It was a blue box with a white ribbon that every girl dreams off. Tiffany & Co.

“Edward Cullen! I told you not to do this!”

Edward laughed. “Please, Bella. Let me, you deserve it.”

I sighed and carefully opened the box. Inside was the most beautiful bracelet I’d ever seen. It was wrapped around a little black velvet pillow. I picked up the little pillow and examined it. It was a platinum bracelet with seven round diamonds set about an inch apart. It was beautiful. It shined, even in the dark.

“Edward, it’s beautiful. I don’t know what to say. It takes my breath away.”

Edward smiled. “Good. That’s how I feel every time I look at you, you take my breath away.”

I nudged him playfully. “You’re too much! Put it on me!” I eagerly handed him the little black pillow. He unhooked the clasp and fastened it around my wrist. I could’ve stared at it for hours. I’ve never owned anything so pretty and sparkly.

Edward and I ended up making a pallet by the tree and spending the night in the living room. Granted, there wasn’t much sleeping involved.

I woke up Christmas morning when the sun started coming in. Edward was behind me. He kissed my cheek, so I knew he must have been awake. I stretched my arm out in front of me, admiring my new bracelet again. I laughed.

“What is so funny?” he asked.

“The fact that I’m only wearing this bracelet,” I said as I rolled over and kissed him.

“You look damn good in that bracelet.”

I giggled, kissing him again. I heard Masen yelling for me. Edward and I got up and got dressed.

“Mamma!! Santa come? Santa come?” he screamed from his crib.

Masen tore through his presents like an animal. It was so cute. He had more than he would ever know what to do with. I got him things he would need, like clothes and more books. Edward got him toys galore, including a little toy guitar and keyboard. The noise level was about to increase dramatically around here.

We spent the day playing with Masen and all of his new toys. When he finally had enough he went down for a nap, and so did we. We were exhausted.

***

Nearly a week later when I went back to work, Edward went into full force planning mode. He had a few days before he went back to class and work and he wanted to get everything squared away with our move.

Before I knew it, we were moving into our new apartment. It had two bedrooms and two bathrooms with a little den that Edward and I were going to use as a study. Edward hired movers and took care of every little detail. We put most of my furniture in Masen’s room. Fortunately, our master bedroom had a large walk-in closet. Edward had a lot of clothes. I was most excited about the en-suite master bathroom. It had a large tub with jets! I’ve never had more than the standard shower/tub combo. I think I spent the first three nights we were there in that tub.

It was back to school and work for both of us and things were beyond hectic. I was glad that I was now closer to Alice. She could walk to my new place to keep Masen on the nights Edward had work and I had class.

Rosalie ended up moving into Edward’s old apartment and I hooked her up with an attorney from our office in Olympia. He thought he had a good chance of keeping the DUI off her record with some community service and counseling. She found a job in the city, not far from my office. Emmett also found a job at a gym and he was doing personal training and teaching a few classes. He seemed to really be enjoying himself.

Now that we were getting back onto a schedule, I was ready to take Rosalie up on the offer for lunch. She was nearly three months pregnant but we had never gotten a chance to talk without Edward being around. Edward and Rose had gotten closer, although neither one of them were speaking to their parents, which I wasn’t really comfortable with.

Rose and I met for lunch on a Thursday afternoon at a small cafe located conveniently between our office buildings. She was already there when I arrived.

“Bella! It’s so good to see you.” She stood and hugged me.

“It’s good to see you too. You’re starting to look pregnant!”

She laughed. “I know, I’ve been eating everything in sight!”

“I know how that goes!” Although, it seemed like the extra weight I put on melted away as soon as Masen entered the world.

We placed our orders and continued chatting about baby stuff. Rose and Emmett were getting married in two weeks. They were eloping and spending the weekend at the Alderbrook Resort and Spa just West of Seattle. Rose seemed really excited about the baby.

“So, Edward never really told me about Masen’s father, do you still talk to him?” she asked.

I shifted uncomfortably in my chair. “He doesn’t really know about it. No, I don’t talk to him.”

“Really? What happened?”

“I mean, Edward probably has his theories. I’ve hinted to as much, I’ve just never really gone into detail about it with him.” I took a deep breath. “I was raped in college. I never really saw the guy that did it. It was some fraternity initiation ritual. Needless to say, I got pregnant and that’s how Masen got here. I wasn’t going to keep him. I had planned to give him up for adoption, but when I saw him, I couldn’t.” Tears started burning my eyes and I forced them away. “I thought he would look like a monster, you know? But he didn’t. He looked angelic, sweet and innocent.”

Rose almost spit her water out when I told her I was rapped. “I’m sorry, Bella. That’s terrible. I just wasn’t expecting something like that.”

I nodded my head and picked at my food. “It’s better though, now. I don’t know where we’d be if I hadn’t of met Edward.”

Rose looked pale. “How did you meet Edward?”

“Just on the street outside my apartment one day. I dropped some things. He picked them up and helped me to my apartment. I ran into him a few weeks later at the library. We’ve practically been inseparable ever since.”

I went on to ask her about how her and Emmett met. I was surprised that they had been together for so long. Edward made it sound like they just hooked up.

We were both late getting back to work and we made plans to go shopping that weekend. We would have to keep Edward out of the loop somehow.

It was the one night of the week Edward and I didn’t have to work or go to class and we both got to be home in the evening. I got home before he did and I started dinner. Masen was playing with his little guitar when Edward came in, on the phone.

“What are you talking about?” he yelled.

Masen and I both looked up at him.

“No, no, you’re not coming here. I’ll come down there.”

He hung up. I assumed he was talking to Rose since she lived three floors down from us now.

Edward came into the kitchen and kissed my cheek.

“Hey, babe. Everything okay?” I asked.

He nodded his head. “My sister is just driving me nuts. I’m going to run down and see what her deal is. I’ll be back before dinner’s ready, okay?”

“Okay.” I wondered what was going on. I hoped Rose wasn’t going to tell him about our lunch that afternoon. I didn’t think she would.

**CHAPTER 10 - CLICK HERE**

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FaYRay <Thank you for telling me where to look for your story I am following it now AWESOME Lady Good Work !!!!Some people are just jealous of other peoples talentAgain good work!!!!!!!!!!!!! dnotci01@comcast.net