Sunday, March 28, 2010

Repentance - Chapter 8




*Bella POV*

As soon as I began to push my door open, out walks Edward. I knew that was his car. He had a big smile on his face and I couldn’t help but laugh.

“What are you up to, mister?”

He took me in his arms and planted a kiss on me that I will never forget. It nearly made my knees shake. I was so glad to be in his presence again. He made my not so glamorous life seem very manageable.

“Wow.” I said, when he finally pulled away. “Did you miss me?”

Edward laughed. “Of course I missed you.”

“What are you doing here?”

“Alice, Masen and I have a surprise for you.”

I sighed. “Oh God, what have you done?”

“Stop being so dreadful, you’ll love it. I promise.”

“If you say so...”

He took my hand and led me inside. Oh my God. I have a Christmas tree!!! I thought to myself. “Oh my gosh, I love it!” I let go of Edward and walked across the room to get a better look at the tree. I almost instantly began crying when I saw the ornaments; especially the star, it nearly had me sobbing.

“Mommy, was wong? You don’t like it?” Masen asked, coming up to me and hugging my leg.

I laughed and knelt down to him. “No, baby. I love it. These are happy tears.” I said as I wiped at my soiled cheeks.

I turned to face Alice and Edward. “I can’t believe you guys did this. I love it. Masen will have a Christmas tree this year!”

Alice jumped up and down and then gave me a hug. “I’m so glad you like it. It was Edward’s idea.”

“Well, I certainly can’t take all the credit, Alice and Masen were the masterminds behind such thoughtful ornaments.”

I stood there and cried as they both hugged me. “Thank you.” It meant more to me than I realized. My little boy had never had a Christmas with a Christmas tree before. It was something I remember being so fond of as a child. I was actually excited about Christmas now, rather than dreading it.

Alice finally pulled away from me. “I’ve got to get going.”

I nodded my head and walked her to the door. She hugged me again and whispered in my ear. “Call me when he’s not around, we need to talk.”

She pulled back and I gave her a quizzical look. “Is it bad? What’s wrong?”

“It’s not bad. It’s very good.”

That scared me even more. “Okay.”

Alice left and I went back inside. Edward was in the kitchen starting a late dinner.

“Are you hungry?” he asked.

I just grinned at him and nodded my head. “I’m going to put Masen to bed and grab a shower, okay?”

“Sure. Dinner and a glass of wine will be waiting on you when you get back.”

I smiled. I so desperately wanted to blurt out I love you, but I didn’t want to freak him out. I put Masen to bed and went into the bathroom with my cell phone. I turned the shower on and called Alice before stepping in.

“Hello?” Her always chipper voice answered.

“Hey, Al. What’s going on?” I asked softly.

“Oh, Bella! He loves you!”

I laughed. “What are you talking about?”

“He told me!”

My heart started racing. “What?”

“I wish you could’ve seen him. He actually got choked up looking at the pictures of you and Masen from when he was a baby.”

“Really?” Edward never really seemed all that emotional to me.

“Yes, and then he said...Alice, I think I love her.”

My heart stopped beating. She said it so theatrically, I had to laugh. I wanted to jump up and down like a little kid with candy. “Oh my God.”

Alice squealed. “I know! Bella, he’s so great! I’m so happy for you.”

“Thanks, Alice. I have to go, I’m hiding in the shower.”

Alice giggled. “Okay, I love you, see you Monday!”

“Kay, I love you too! Thanks again!”

Just as I pulled the phone from my ear, Edward walked in, butt naked.

I laughed. “What are you doing?” I was sitting, naked, on the edge of the sink with my legs crossed.

He closed the door. “What are you doing? I thought you were taking a shower, not sneaking away to use your phone.”

“Alice called, I wasn’t sneaking away.” I uncrossed my legs and spread them slightly as he walked up to me, standing between my legs. His arms wrapped around my waist.

“What did she want?”

“Well...” I avoided his eyes. “She said that you thought you loved me.” It came out barely as a whisper.

He tilted my chin, so I was looking at him. “I didn’t want to tell you this way, sitting naked on a bathroom vanity...”

I giggled. He kissed me. “But, I don’t think I love you.”

My mouth fell open and I stared up at him.

“I know I do.”

My heart resumed beating then and I kissed him. I pulled back and hugged his neck. “You’re so good to me.”

He smiled. “How about that shower?”

I nodded my head and jumped off the counter. “What about dinner?”

“It’s in the oven. We had 17 minutes from the time I came in here.”

I laughed. “You came in here looking for a quickie, huh?” I stepped into the shower and he playfully smacked my but.

I jumped and giggled. We actually just showered, and didn’t go for the quickie. Neither one of us wanted to be quick. We wanted to savor each other.

When we got out of the shower, Edward left me to get dressed while he went to tend to dinner.

I heard his phone ring multiple times. He finally answered it.

“What?” he yelled.

I stopped what I was doing, and listened quietly.

“No, she’s full of shit. I don’t care. She knows what she has to do and so do you. You’re such a bitch.”

My eyes grew large. Who was he talking to like that? I’ve never heard him talk that before.

“No, I don’t want to talk her. I don’t care, Rose. I’m hanging up now. Goodbye.”

His sister.

I cautiously stepped out of the bathroom. “Is everything okay?” I asked.

He looked up at me. “I’m sorry you had to hear that. Everything is fine.”

He continued messing with dinner at the oven. He was wearing only his jeans, bare feet and chest. He looked good enough to eat.

I walked up behind him and wrapped my arms around him, kissing his back. “Are you sure?”

“Yes, I’m sure.”

I let go of him and stood beside him against the counter, so I could see his face. “Edward, please don’t feel like you have to ignore your family because of me.”

“Don’t worry about it, Bella. It’s not a big deal.”

“It’s a big deal to me. Just because they don’t like me, doesn’t mean you have to disown them. They care about you.”

“No, they don’t. They care about social status.”

“That’s not true, Edward.”

“You don’t know everything, Bella!” He nearly yelled.

That took me by surprise. I backed off then. I went to my room and closed the door. He hurt my feelings. I sat on my bed quietly so I wouldn’t wake Masen. I vehemently fought the tears that threatened me.

Edward quietly pushed the door open a few minutes later. “Dinner’s ready,” he whispered.

I took a deep breath and left the room. Dinner was on the small table adjacent to the kitchen. We both sat, silently. When I reached for my glass of wine, he intercepted, grabbing my hand.

“Bella, I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to snap at you. I don’t come from a perfect family. It’s a very touchy subject with me. I’d rather not talk about it. Please forgive me.”

He looked very troubled. “I’m sorry, I was just trying to help.”

“I know.” He kissed the top of my hand. “You help by just being with me. I’ll handle my family. Please, do not worry about it.”

I took a deep breath and nodded my head. We ate mostly in silence. We both did the dishes afterwards. I couldn’t help but wonder what the story was with his family. I was obviously missing something. It troubled me that he didn’t want to talk about it with me, but I guess it was the same scenario with what happened to me in college. I certainly didn’t want to share details with him.

I got over it, and we went to bed. We spent the rest of the weekend at his apartment. Late Saturday afternoon I was cleaning up Edward’s apartment while he ran to the grocery store to pick up a few things for dinner. Masen was taking a nap in Edward’s bed. There was a knock at the door. I looked through the peep hole. Edward’s sister.
I hesitated momentarily, wondering if I should open the door. I finally decided I would.

“Is Edward here?” She asked.

“No, I’m sorry. He ran to the store.”

“Do you live here now?” she asked.

“No. Would you like to come in and wait for him?”

“No, that’s not necessary. You can just ask him to call me.”

“Okay, I will.”

She turned to leave, but she stopped, turning back to face me.

“Oh, and Bella...I’m sorry about Thanksgiving. Don’t tell him I said that. I’m saying it because I mean it, not because he wants me to.”

I was confused. “Okay. Thanks.” She turned and disappeared down the hallway. I closed the door and just stood there momentarily trying to figure out what just happened. Why was she being nice to me now?

I busied myself around the apartment until Edward returned. After he returned, we were both in the kitchen putting the groceries away.

“Your sister stopped by.”

He stopped what he was doing and turned to look at me. “What?”

“She stopped by while you were gone. She asked me to have you call her.”

“Is that it?” he asked.

“Yes. Well...” I hesitated, wondering if I should tell him about her apologizing. “Yes.”

He furrowed his brow at me. “What aren’t you telling me?”

“She apologized to me.”

“Really?” he asked, surprised.

I nodded my head. “But she said she was only doing it because she meant it, not because you told her to. And she told me not to tell you.”

Edward looked confused. “What the hell? She’s up to something. You can’t believe anything she says.”

“She looked sincere. You should call her.”

Edward gave me a stern look, warning me.

“Okay, sorry.” I backed off and continued putting the groceries away.

***

The next few weeks were extremely busy. Edward and I hardly got to see each other as we both had to prepare for finals. I was completely stressed out between work, school and Masen. Masen was really driving me nuts. Because I was having to study so much, he wasn’t getting attention from me that he normally would. It was after 10:00 the night before my last final. I had to be up early for work and then go straight to class. I needed to study and Masen wouldn’t go to bed. I was getting so frustrated. I went back into the room after listening to scream for half an hour.

“Masen, lay down. You’re not getting out of bed. You need to go to sleep.”

“I wan anover story!”

“I’ve read you two stories! Go to sleep!”

“I want Daddy! You are mean!” he screamed.

“If I let you talk to Daddy on the phone, will you go to bed?”

Masen stopped crying and nodded his head yes. He missed Edward. He looked up to him so much and he liked having a guy around. I think he misses Charlie, and Edward takes Charlie’s place in his mind.

I sighed. “I’ll be right back.” I went to get the phone. I had already talked to Edward that evening and I knew he was studying.

“Hello?”

“Hey, baby. I’m sorry to bother you.”

“It’s alright, what’s wrong?”

I sighed. “My son is throwing a massive temper-tantrum and he won’t go to bed and I really need to study. He said I was mean and that he wanted to talk to you. He promised he’d go to bed if he could talk to you.”

Edward laughed. “Of course I’ll talk to him. I miss him. He’s got you wrapped around his finger.”

“Ugh, that’s not a good thing!”

“Let me talk to him.”

I went back into the room and held the phone to Masen’s ear. I turned the volume up so I could hear.

“Daddy!” Masen yelled into the phone.

“Hey, buddy, why are you still awake?”

“I not sweepy!”

“Well maybe if you lay down and be quiet you will get sleepy. Mommy has to study, you have to be quiet for her, okay?”

Masen rolled his eyes and I had to laugh. “Okay, Daddy. When you comin over?”

“If you go to sleep like a good boy, I’ll come see you tomorrow, okay?”

Masen jumped up and down in his crib. “Kay. Night, Daddy.”

“Good night, Masen.”

I took the phone back. I kissed Masen on the forehead. “Okay, go to sleep. I’ll see you in the morning.”

Masen nodded his head and laid back down with his monkey. I went back to the living room.

“Sorry about that. You’re a life saver.”

Edward laughed. “It’s no problem. I can’t wait to see you tomorrow, I feel like it’s been forever.”

“It feels like forever.” I sighed.

“I know, baby. It’s almost over. We’ll have a nice long Christmas break together.”

I smiled at the thought. Edward didn’t even have to work at the library over the holiday break. “Okay, I’ve got to get back to studying. Good luck with your finals tomorrow. I love you.”

“Thank you, Bella. Good luck with yours as well. I love you too.”

I stayed up most of the night studying. I was really worried about this final. I didn’t feel prepared for it at all. I was so tired when I got out of bed the next morning.

It was shortly after 7:00 p.m. when I finished my exam. I was walking across campus to the bus stop when someone grabbed me from behind.

I nearly had a heart attack until I realized it was Edward. I hit him in the chest. “Don’t do that! You scared me!”

“Oh, right. I’m sorry, Bella. I forgot. I just saw you across campus and I was trying to catch up to you. I missed you.”

He hugged me and I let my guard down. “What did you forget?” I asked, curiously.

“What?” he asked, confused.

“You said I’m sorry, Bella, I forgot.”

He stuttered for a moment. “I don’t know, I didn’t mean anything by it. I just didn’t mean to scare you.”

“Okay.” I exhaled a deep breath, pushing away the dark memories that were creeping back into my mind. “Let’s go home.” I grabbed his hand and we turned and walked in the opposite direction, towards his car.

“What time is Alice expecting you?”

“Not until after 9:00 p.m.; Why?”

“Well, I thought maybe we could go do some Christmas shopping for Masen.”

“Edward, I don’t have the money right now and you don’t need to be buying him things.”

Edward sighed. “You’re so stubborn.”

I gave him a warning look.

“You are! Why can’t I spoil the girl that I love?”

“Edward! You know how I feel about you spending money on me. And besides, we were talking about Masen, not me.”

“You, Masen, it’s one in the same.”

I shook my head. “You’re too much.”

“You know I’m going to do it anyway. You might as well come with me so you can pick him out some things he will like.”

I sighed, giving in to him. “Fine.”

We shopped until the mall closed that night. I got over Edward spending money on us when I realized how good of a Christmas Masen would have this year. I guess if I had a tree, there would need to be presents under it. Maybe I’d even be able to get Edward something. I sighed at the thought.

After we put Masen to bed that night we talked about our plans for Christmas. Edward insisted we spent Christmas with my dad, but I wanted it to just be the three of us here.

“Well let’s at least spend Christmas eve with your father,” he said.

“I’ll agree to that. What about your family?”

“What about them?” he laughed.

“Ugh! Edward! You have to least go see them. It’s Christmas!”

Edward’s phone started ringing. Again.

“I’m sorry,” he said. “I don’t know what her problem is. She won’t stop calling.”

“Who?” I asked.

“My sister. Excuse me.” I nodded my head and Edward stood and walked into the kitchen.

“What is it?” he answered.

“What? What are you talking about? Right now?”

“Ugh, Rose! I’m not even at home.”

“Fine, I’ll meet you there in half an hour.”

Edward walked back into the living room and my heart plummeted. He was leaving. “Is everything okay?”

“I don’t know. She is freaking out. She won’t tell me over the phone. She said she has gotten into some trouble.”

“Oh, that’s strange. I hope everything is okay.”

“Yea.”

“So, you’re leaving?” I asked.

He nodded his head. “Come with me. We’ll stay at my place.”

“I don’t know. I don’t want to get in the middle of whatever is going on with you and your sister.”

“Just stay in my room, she shouldn’t be there long.”

I sighed. I’d have to get Masen up and move him and it was a lot of hassle, but God I missed sleeping in Edward’s arms. “Okay,” I agreed. I quickly packed Masen and I a bag and Edward took our things to his car before coming back to get Masen. I was surprised that Masen didn’t even wake up.

I laid Masen down on Edward’s bed after we arrived. His sister arrived a few minutes later and I excused myself to Edward’s bedroom, but I purposely left the door cracked open.

“What is it?” he asked. “Why have you been crying?”

“Edward, I’m sorry. I don’t have anyone else to turn to. It started a few weeks ago. I got a DUI on the way home from a bar after going out after work. I wasn’t even drunk, I just hadn’t eaten and I failed the breathalyzer test. I lost my job for missing two days of work and not notifying them, but I was in jail! I spent all my savings on getting out jail, I have court fees, I need an attorney. I lent Emmett some money. Edward I’m broke. I got an eviction notice today. Mom and Dad are so furious with me. They won’t even talk to me, won’t give me any money.”

“What about your trust fund?”

I could hear her sobs increase dramatically. “It’s gone.”

“Gone?”

“Gone. You know mine wasn’t as much as yours because Nanna Cullen wouldn’t contribute to mine. Stupid wench.”

“Watch it, Rose.”

“Sorry, anyways, all of that isn’t even the worse part! I found out last night that I’m pregnant.”

Oh my. This was good, I thought.

“What?? What the hell is wrong with you? Is it that idiot’s child?”

“He’s not an idiot, and yes, it is.”

“Wow, you’ve got yourself in a real pickle, huh?”

I guess she nodded her head because I didn’t hear her respond.

“So what do you want? How much?”

“A couple thousand.”

“What are you going to do to fix this?”

“There’s not a lot available in Olympia, work wise. I’ve got a couple interviews lined up next week here in Seattle. I’ll probably move out here if I can find something. Emmett is looking for a job out here too.”

“He doesn’t even have a job? God, Rose.”

She just cried.

“I’ll put some money in your account tomorrow. I’ll find a good attorney for you in Olympia. This is the one and only time I’m helping you. Don’t screw up again.”

“Okay. Thank you, Edward. Seriously. I really appreciate it.”

“You’re welcome. What are you going to do about the baby?”

“What do you mean? I’m going to have it. Emmett and I are going to get married. I’m not having a child without a father like mom.”

“You had a father.”

“He was never my father and you know it.”

“I’m not arguing about this with you. Your biological father was a monster.”

“Okay, I’m sorry. I’ll go.” I heard her walking towards the door.

“Can I talk to you outside; so she can’t hear us?”

“I doubt she’s listening, Rose. What is it?”

“Trust me, you want this taken outside.”

I heard Edward sigh.

I didn’t hear her respond. I heard the door open and close and then there was silence. I peaked my head out the door, he went outside with her.

***
(Outside Edward’s Apartment)

“I know what your hiding,” Rose said.

“What are you talking about?” Edward asked.

“Her son, he looks just like you. Why didn’t you just tell us you had a kid with some girl...instead of running away and going bat shit crazy.”

“You don’t know what you’re talking about. Don’t ever say anything like that around here again. Go back to wherever you came from.”

“Look me in the eye and tell me that kid is not yours, Edward.”

Edward looked down and then back up at Rosalie. “You don’t understand. It’s just not that easy.”

“Why isn’t it?”

Edward took a deep breath and blew it out. “I can’t tell you. Nobody knows. Not even Bella.”

Rosalie looked really confused. “What do you mean?”

“I told you, I can’t tell you.”

Rosalie sighed. “Okay, well you have my number if you decide you want to talk about it. I won’t say anything to mom. Thanks again, really.” Rosalie hugged Edward and he was taken back by it. They had never been close. He thought, perhaps, his sister did have emotions.


***Author's Note: Thanks for reading! Things are starting to get interesting! ;)

**CHAPTER 9 - CLICK HERE**

No comments: