Thursday, December 3, 2009

The Intruders - Chapter 3




Chapter 3:

Nothing really changed in the following weeks. Charlie continued to be even more distant and Edward insisted we didn’t “practice” anymore until my birthday.

On my birthday I sat by myself on the couch in the living room as I watched the sun slowly disappear over the horizon of the forrest. I had no idea where Charlie was. Edward skipped class and went hunting. He was supposed to be here by now. He promised me dinner at a nice restaurant in Port Angeles, like normal couples would do. I insisted I didn’t want a party or any sort of celebration so to speak. I just wanted to spend time with Edward.

I heard the front door open and turned around quickly, expecting to see Edward.

“Oh, hey, Dad.”

“Hey, Bells. It’s Tuesday, why aren’t you at work?”

Even my own father didn’t know it was my birthday. “Dad, it’s my birthday.” It’s okay if I want to forget my birthday, but it’s not okay if my Dad does.

I saw the horror cross his face. “Bells, I’m so sorry. I completely lost track of time; I’ve been so busy.”

Yea, busy with your new girlfriend who you still haven’t told me about. I thought. “It’s fine, Dad. I get it.” I stood and walked past him. “I’m going for a walk. Edward is supposed to be picking me up, eventually.”

“Bella, wait...”

I felt tears start to sting my eyes. I took a deep breath, ignoring Charlie’s request and I headed out into the woods behind my house.

This is so lame, I thought to myself. It was 6:00 p.m. and only my mother and some of my human friends had acknowledged my 18th birthday, as if any of them mattered. My Dad, whom I shared a home with, had completely forgotten and my vampire boyfriend was off chasing deer tail. I nearly lost it as I felt the heel of my shoe sink into the soft ground beneath me. I even dressed up for Edward. I wore black cropped pants with a dress sandal, which was now covered in mud, with a dark crimson 3/4 sleeve blouse. I even spent an hour perfecting the waves in my hair. I wanted him to want me tonight, and so far I couldn’t even get him to show up at my house. I quickly wiped the tear from my cheek that managed to escape my left eye.

“Bella? Is that you?”

I inhaled sharply, glancing around the woods quickly until I noticed the shadowy figure off to my right. I walked towards the familiar voice. As I got closer, I could see that it was Anthony. He was sitting by himself on a large downed tree limb.

“What are you doing out here?” I asked.

“I come out here sometimes, to get away. I just live about a mile through the woods that way,” he pointed behind him.

“Oh. I didn’t know you were so close.”

“Well, it’s not close by road, but it’s not too bad through the woods. You look really nice. I heard it was your birthday; sorry I didn’t get to tell you in class. ”

I smiled and sat down next him. “Thanks. It’s been a really crappy one so far. My dad completely forgot and Edward was supposed to pick me up an hour ago.”

Anthony laughed. “Ouch. I guess my night hasn’t been so bad then.”

I laughed too. “What’s going on with you?”

That uneasy look returned to his face and I could tell he was about to retreat back to that dark place he kept off limits to me and everyone else. “Oh, just some stuff with my mom. I can’t really talk about it.”

I put my hand on his arm. “You can talk to me, Anthony.”

He stood quickly. “No, I really can’t.”

“BELLA!” I heard Edward calling my name in the distance. I looked between Anthony and to my left, in the direction of my house, where Edward’s voice was coming from.

“You can Anthony, you can trust me. I promise. I have to go, but maybe we can continue this another time.”

“Maybe,” he said quietly. I turned to head off in the direction of my house.

“Oh! Bella!”

I heard Anthony yell for me and I turned around quickly. “Yea?”

“Happy Birthday.”

A genuine smile spread across my face. “Thank you.”



A few minutes later I stepped into the clearing, out of the woods, to face Edward.

“Where have you been?” Edward asked, as he saw me emerging from the woods.

I nearly laughed. “Where have I been? Edward, where have you been? You were supposed to be here over an hour ago!”

He completely dismissed my question.

“Bella, who were you talking to?”

My initial reaction was to say nobody, but I knew he must have heard me. I stood there, silent for far too long, further incriminating myself.

“I just happen to run into him out there, Edward.” I knew that he understood who I was talking about.

“Why were you in the woods to begin with, Bella? It’s dangerous to be out there by yourself.”

I took a deep breath. “Well, let’s see, my dad is so caught up in this woman he’s seeing that he completely forgot it was my birthday; I got all dressed up for my date with my vampire boyfriend and he didn’t even show up when he said he would because he was too busy chasing after his dinner! So, I went for a walk, I needed some air!

I stormed past Edward in the direction of my house. I heard Edward laughing momentarily at my outburst. I stopped and turned around to face him. “It’s not funny to me, Edward,” I said seriously.

He was inches from me before my mind could even process the fact that he had moved. I felt his cold hands on my shoulders.

“I’m sorry I laughed, Bella. I know it isn’t funny; you’re just so cute when you’re angry.”

He kissed me before I had a chance to respond. It was a passionate kiss, the kind of kiss I normally only dreamed about with Edward. It felt like gravity had been lost and I was floating outside myself. That high had to be better than any narcotic could provide. Edward literally had to push me away from him. A large smile spread across my face as our eyes met. How could I stay mad at him after that?

“Happy Birthday, Bella.” He put his arm around my waist as we headed back to the house. “And, in case you couldn’t tell by my kiss, you look beautiful, muddy feet and all.”

I looked down at my mud covered feet and shoes and laughed with him.




Dinner with Edward in Port Angeles was even better than I expected. He was incredibly charming. He even ordered an entree with me so I wouldn’t be the only one eating. He just picked at his food though, but it was the thought that counts.

I fell asleep in the car on the way home. I was slumped over, leaning against Edward’s arm and shoulder. Our fingers were tangled loosely together near the gear shift. I was awakened by the sound of gravel crushing under the tires of Edward’s Volvo. “That was fast,” I said, as I noticed we had arrived back to my house already.

Edward laughed lightly. “You slept like a baby the entire way.”

I smiled at him. “I was tired.”

“Are you too tired for a birthday practice session?” he grinned.

“I’m never too tired for that, Mr. Cullen!”

I gave him my best sex kitten face as we headed inside. I wanted to pounce on him as soon as the door was closed behind us, but the colorful display on the kitchen table to my right was catching my attention.

Edward was silent as I admired the small arrangement of colorful flowers on the table with a card and cupcake next to it.

“Aw!” I smiled as I tore open the card, trying to remember the last time my dad had been so thoughtful.

Bella,

I’m sorry about earlier, I knew it was soon, I just lost track of time. I’ve been dreading this day for the past 18 years. You’ve grown up into a beautiful young woman and I’m very proud of you. I know we don’t see each other much anymore, but I’m glad you’re here.

I won’t be home tonight, I’ve got to work the overnight shift.

Edward can spend the night for your birthday, if you want. You’re an adult now, just remember to make good decisions.

Happy Birthday Bells. - Love, Dad.

I quickly grazed my fingers across my cheeks to remove the tears that fell without my knowledge. I turned around and handed the card to Edward. He read it silently and then his eyes met mine.

“That’s very sweet of him, Bella.” He handed the card back to me and I held it close to my chest as I felt the inevitability of the warm liquid stinging my eyes again. It was sweet, and thoughtful, and so unlike Charlie, but that wasn’t why I was crying. I was crying because, if I had my way with Edward, I’d have to leave Charlie behind. Forever.

“Do you understand now why I so desperately want you to remain human?” He spoke softly as he gently rubbed my back. “It’s not just about me, Bella; it’s about everyone around you, who loves you just as much as I do.”

I stood there crying into his chest for entirely too long. I decided I didn’t want to think about being changed into an immortal tonight. I just wanted to enjoy what was left of my birthday with Edward. He sat quietly with me at the table as I ate my cupcake. It was homemade. Cora at the diner must have made it for Charlie.

After I devoured the cupcake and a few moments of silence between Edward and I, I tried to lighten the mood. “I can’t believe my dad said you could stay the night.”

Edward laughed. “Me either, and he won’t even be here!”

I smiled at the thought of it all and I was reminded once again why I wanted to be like Edward. So I could have all of him, and be on the same playing field, forever young. “Ready for bed?” I asked, getting up from the kitchen table and glancing back at him longingly.

Edward took my hand and followed me up the stairs.


Edward POV:

I closed the door behind me as Bella and I entered her bedroom. She turned to face me and the excited smile on her face melted my cold heart. I wanted so badly to give her everything she wanted, physically. I wanted the same things she did, I just had no idea how I’d find the strength to control myself. I never want to hurt the beautiful creature standing before me, but tonight... tonight I would try to give her as much as I possibly could.

“Edward?”

Her words interrupted my thoughts. “Hmm?” I said, looking up at her, noticing a little ball of clothes in her hand.

“Will you move so I can go to the bathroom to change clothes?”

I was still standing in front of the door. I stepped out of the way, but gently grabbed her arm as she tried to pass me. “Bella, you don’t have to go.” Her big brown eyes pierced mine, questioning my logic. “This is your room, your house, I won’t look.” I walked away from her and sat on the edge of the bed, facing the wall, and removed my shoes while she changed into her sleeping clothes behind me.

“All done,” she said, letting me know it was okay to turn around.

I turned and laid down on her bed, patting the spot beside me, inviting her to join me. Her hair was still perfectly wavy and she wore a fitted spaghetti strap tank top and a miniature pair of shorts instead of her usual oversized t-shirt.

She sat close to me, leaning against the head board with her legs straight out in front of her, her hands clasped together neatly on her lap. My hand cupped her cheek at first, as I trailed my fingers down her neck, shoulders, between her breasts, and down to her waist, “Is this new?” I tugged gently on the cotton fabric of her shirt. I could tell she had stopped breathing. Chill bumps raced across every visible part of her skin.

“Yes,” she whispered.

My hand moved to the outside of her left thigh, trailing upwards and eventually stopping at her hip. I gave her hip a firm squeeze, “Bella, even if you were wearing a trash bag, I’d still want you.”

She pulled me closer to her, grinning, and biting on her bottom lip. It was an innocent, yet incredibly sexy gesture. I instantly wanted to ravish her and I fought an internal battle to control myself. I held my breath and let my lips find hers. They were soft, moist and warm. Our tongues danced together, sending a jolt of something powerful through my body. Every time we kissed like this, I imagined what it would be like to have all of her, the way Emmett could have Rosalie, and Jasper could have Alice. It was times like this where I actually considered turning Bella into a monster. I pushed the thoughts from my mind, and tried to focus on the task at hand. The burning sensation in my throat was becoming stronger. I swallowed hard, begging to ignore it. I let my hand trail down her slender frame, my fingers resting dangerously close to her innocence. I pulled back from our kiss, searching her eyes for permission. She was breathing heavily and her brown eyes instantly locked on my own. She shook her head, encouraging me to go on, before enrapturing my lips with hers.

Bella POV

Is this really happening? Is he really touching me like this? My entire body was on fire and his cold skin against mine felt absolutely intoxicating. After giving him the encouragement he needed to continue, I instantly felt his ice cold fingers slip beneath the fabric of my shorts and panties. A throaty moan escaped me as his fingers violated me in the most pleasurable way. His cold lips and tongue trailed down my neck and collarbone. It felt as if his tongue were an ice cube skating across my shoulders. It sent little tremors through me and as his fingers continued to work their magic, I felt my body losing control.

“Edward!” I yelled his name without even thinking. I sought such a great relief that it felt good to say his name like that.

“Am I hurting you?” I heard him whisper. My head was nearly lost, deep in my pillow, my eyes squeezed tightly closed.

“No, no...it’s wonderful, don’t stop.” I felt him smile against the crook in my neck, his fingers moving even faster than before. I nearly felt ashamed at what I was feeling, the way I was reacting to his touch, nearly sending me into convulsions. I felt a slight tinge of embarrassment before I relaxed and let my body lead me, ignoring the hyper awareness of my mind. This is what I wanted. I felt the pressure inside me building and just when I thought I couldn’t take it anymore, I felt the most incredible sensations rush through every inch of my body. I yelled out in pleasure, clawing at Edward’s back, not even looking at him, for fear I would feel embarrassed at him seeing me like this. I let my body wined down, slowly feeling the incredible sensations ceasing.

When my eyes opened, they immediately meet Edward’s. He was hovering over me, waiting for a reaction. I nearly laughed. I cupped his face in my hands. “There are not words to describe how amazing that was, how amazing you are.” I kissed him gently, feeling him pull away after just a second.

“I had no idea what I was doing,” he laughed. “It feels really nice down there though.” He looked down, as if suddenly sad, or upset.

I laughed at first, until saw the far away look in his eyes. “Edward, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing.”

I knew what he was thinking, that he wasn’t strong enough to really be with me completely. “You won’t hurt me.”

“You don’t know that.”

I sighed. “I do know it. You were so perfect, just then, you didn’t hurt me at all. You just...loved me, tenderly, and perfectly.”

“It wasn’t easy, Bella,” he said, looking away from me.

“Edward, please don’t ruin this for me.” I felt tears sting at my eyes about the thought of it being so difficult for him to touch me like that, as if he instantly regretted it.

“I’m sorry, Bella. I didn’t mean it like that. I love you more than you’ll ever know. I want to give you everything you desire. I really do, it’s so hard for me though. You have no idea how badly I want you, all of you. I have to control myself though, I can’t bear the thought of hurting you.” His hand cupped my cheek and I felt him relax on top of me, feeling the full weight of his body against mine - and something else.

I moved my leg a little bit to make sure that wasn’t my imagination. “Edward, is that?”

He laughed momentarily before propping himself up with his elbows again, putting more space between our bodies. “Yes, that’s what you think it is.”

I felt my smile spread widely across my face. “Wow.” That’s all I could think to say. I wiggled out from under him. He rolled over on to his back so that he was facing me. I straddled his waist, feeling his excitement growing beneath me. I pulled on his shirt, wanting him to sit up. He obliged and I made quick work of removing his shirt before he could protest.

“Bella...”

“Please, Edward. I just want to feel you against me.” I raked my hands up his stone cold chest. I pressed my lips to his and I felt his hands in my hair. His lips parted and my tongue sought his. I heard a low growl escape him.

“Bella, I can’t. We have to stop.”

“Please, Edward. It’s all I want. I want to make you feel the way you made me feel.” I pressed my lips quickly back to his as I gently rocked my hips against his excitement. I could feel him letting his guard down by the way he kissed me and the way his hands were exploring me. I pressed my hips against him harder, enjoying the sensations it caused in me. I heard him growl again, and then it happened. He bit my bottom lip. I don’t think he meant to. He’s teeth are sharp. If it weren’t for the small amount of blood I tasted and for the fact that he was a vampire, I would’ve thought nothing of it. His face was full of panic. His eyes were glazed over, he looked possessed. I got off of him, slowly making my way off the bed. Suddenly he lunged forward, at me.

“Edward! No!” I yelled.

“Get out!” He screamed.

I did as he demanded, quickly leaving the room. I went to the bathroom to assess the damage. It was nothing. He just barely punctured the inside of my lip. I rinsed my mouth out a few times and it stopped bleeding. I cautiously went back into my room. He was gone. The window was open. I ran to it and glanced around quickly, not seeing him anywhere. “Edward, come back! I’m not upset, it’s okay!” I spoke loudly, but I didn’t scream. I hoped he could hear me, although I had no idea how far he had gone.

I called Alice.

“I know, Bella. I saw it.”

“Is he there?”

“No, he’s hunting.”

I sighed. “If you see him, tell him to come back. I’m not going to sleep until he does. I’m not mad at him, he didn’t hurt me. I’m fine.”

“I’ll see what I can do, Bella.”

“Thanks, Alice.”

After a few hours I decided I would go look for Edward myself. I got dressed and headed out into the forrest. I was hoping he hadn’t gone far. I called his name a few times, hoping his expert hearing would pick up on it. After about an hour I felt completely lost. I sat down on a fallen tree limb just as I felt my cell phone vibrating in my pocket. It was Alice.

“Hey, Alice.”

“Bella, what are you doing? Are you crazy? Get out of the woods!!”

“I was looking for Edward.”

“He’s on his way to you now. You’re not supposed to be in the woods!”

“Why not?”

“He didn’t tell you?” Alice asked.

“Tell me what?”

Alice sighed. “Nothing, Bella, just stay put. Edward will find you.”

She hung up. It was a few more minutes before Edward came up behind me, nearly giving me a heart attack.

“What are you doing out here? Come on.” He grabbed me and threw me on his back before I had the opportunity to speak. We were back in my bedroom in a matter of minutes.

He closed my bedroom door behind me and I sat on the bed. “I’m sorry, Edward. I just wanted you to come back.”

“Well, you got what you wanted.”

I didn’t know what to say. “I thought you were out there giving yourself a hard time. What happened was nothing. You didn’t hurt me.”

Edward shook his head. “I didn’t mean to. I didn’t even know I did it until I tasted you.”

I got off the bed and walked over to him. “I know you didn’t mean to. It’s okay. I’m fine.”

Edward shook his head. “You’re lucky you didn’t get your wish tonight. You taste even more divine than I have ever imagined. We can’t do anything like that again, for a while.”

I sighed as I felt the tears sting my eyes. I turned and sat back down on the bed, determined now more than ever to get what I wanted. I hated being this fragile little thing to Edward, but now wasn’t the time to argue.

“What haven’t you told me?”

Edward seemed to instantly know what I was talking about. “Bella, I was late picking you up tonight because I was talking with Alice. She had a vision, about your little friend.”

“Who?”

“Anthony.”

“What about him?”

“You can’t be around him anymore. He is connected to Victoria somehow.” he said, running his hands through his hair.

“Victoria? How?”

“I don’t know. Alice just had a vision of them together. They were in Forks. Victoria must be coming back. You have to stay out of the woods and away from that guy.”

I swallowed hard. “Okay.”

“You should get some sleep.”

I shook my head. “Will you lay down with me?”

He didn’t answer. Instead, he crawled into bed next to me.


***Author's Note: I hope you enjoyed this chapter as much as I did! Thanks for reading!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really like this story. I hope you'll update this one too sometime. =)