Sunday, February 20, 2011

Repentance - Epilogue


EPILOGUE

Edward and I married when Molly was six months old. We had a small ceremony at the Edgewater Hotel in Seattle. We only invited our closest family and friends. I never imagined a wedding with so many babies. Alice and Jasper named their son Jackson Alexander Whitlock. He was part of the wedding. Jackson was carried by Jasper, who was a best man and Alice carried Molly. Emmalie was a flower girl. Fortunately, there were no temper-tantrums and everyone was surprisingly well behaved. Of course, Jackson and Molly slept through most of the ceremony, only waking when people started clapping at the end.

My dress was strapless and fairly simple, but elegant at the same time. I wore my hair mostly down and wavy with only a small portion pinned back. Edward looked handsome as ever and when the doors opened and I started down the aisle, he was the only one I saw. We recited our vows and Edward promised me and our children the world. I already felt like I had it all.

Our wedding day was perfect. Our wedding photos were perfect. Our children were perfect. The day couldn’t have gone any better. It was a perfect start to our forever.

~

The following year, after Edward and I married, we moved to Portland, Oregon to be closer to his parents and to get out of the city. Edward finished up law school and was preparing to take the BAR exam. He already had an Associate position lined up at the DA’s office in Portland.

I was still finishing up my PhD, but in the meantime, I was teaching a class of second graders at a local elementary school. Most days I really enjoyed my job. Although we left Seattle to get a fresh start and move away from bad memories, somehow, a little piece seemed to follow us, but I didn’t mind.

I knew it on the first day when I looked over my roll sheet for my new second grade class. Cooper Stallings. Cooper was a lanky brown haired boy that grossly resembled Christopher Stallings. Although they had similarities, Cooper didn’t quite have his father’s good looks. Cooper was thin and had big glasses. He stuttered sometimes and didn’t always look clean.

I confirmed that he was Christopher Stallings’ estranged son by speaking with his rather young mother at parent teacher conferences. Cooper and I had a really good relationship. He got picked on a lot for being quirky, but I always stood up for him and took care of him. I didn’t like the fact that his father took my son, but I appreciated the fact that he didn’t have the heart to harm him and returned him to me safely. The least I could do was protect his son in return.

I wasn’t sure what Cooper’s home life was like, but I imagined it could be better. I think his mother struggled a lot, but she was doing the best she could. Cooper often only came to lunch with a peanut butter sandwich. On those days, I would buy extra lunch and tell him I was too full to finish, so he could have my left overs. His eyes always lit up. Cooper was my favorite student.

~

Eventually, Edward and I moved to a moderately sized home just outside of Portland. It was the first home either of us owned and we were so proud of it. Edward painted and did things around the house on the weekends while I decorated and worked on the curb appeal.

Molly was a quickly growing toddler. She was so beautiful. She was the apple of her daddy’s eye and anything she wanted, she got. Edward treated her like a princess. I got the greatest joy from watching them interact together.

Edward had been out with Molly for their daddy/daughter time one Saturday afternoon while Masen and I had been to his soccer practice. We returned home shortly before Edward and Molly and were getting ready for dinner when Edward and Molly came bounding through the door, excitement apparent in Molly’s little voice.

“Momma! Masen! See what Daddy got me!” I could hear her bouncing towards us in the kitchen.

Masen jumped down from his bar stool at the kitchen island and ran towards the foyer.

“Oh my gosh! No way!”

“It’s not just for you, Molly. It’s for everyone,” Edward corrected.

I didn’t hear Molly’s response. I came around the corner to a foyer full of giggles and slobbery wet faces. A puppy. A little chocolate colored fluffy puppy.

I gave Edward a questioning look and signaled for him to come to the kitchen while the kids played with the puppy.

“Edward! A puppy is a big deal. We’re supposed to discuss things like that!”

“I know, babe, but you should’ve seen her face light up when she saw him! I promise I’ll help take care of him. Come on, it won’t hurt to teach Masen some responsibility too. It will be a good thing, I promise.”

I sighed. “She has you wrapped around her little finger so tight...”

Edward smiled. “I can’t help it.”

He leaned down and placed a soft kiss on my lips. Just as I was beginning to not want to let him go, we heard Molly scream and Masen laugh.

We both ran into the foyer. Molly started crying.

“What happened?” I asked.

Masen was laughing so hard he could hardly speak. “He pooped on her!”

Molly stood in the foyer in all her three year old glory with a dark brown watery stain on the front of her pretty pink shirt.

Edward burst into laughter.

I hit him in the arm. “Don’t laugh at her! Clean her up!”

Edward continued to laugh as he tended to Molly.

“Masen, why don’t you take the puppy out back.”

Masen ran off through the back of the house with the little brown fur ball following closely behind him.

~

A few months later, Edward returned home from a stressful day at work. I could tell he was in a bad mood, but he tried not to let it show.

I was making dinner while Masen played with Bear in the backyard. Molly was coloring at the kitchen table. Since the day she got pooped on by the puppy, she wanted nothing to do with it. Bear was officially Masen’s and Molly got a kitten. Some days, it felt like a zoo around our house.

“Edward, you okay?” I asked as he moved around me in silence, attempting to help with dinner.

Edward nodded his head. “Had an interesting day. I’m supposed to give you this,” he handed me a folded piece of paper from a yellow legal pad.

“What is it?” I asked as I opened it up.

“I prosecuted Christopher Stallings today. Drug possession, again.”

I read the scrawled messy script on the page.

Miss Bella,

I got to see my son last month. He told me all about you and all you done for him. I’m real sorry for the trouble I caused you and your family. I know I’m not the best person, and I get in a lot of trouble, but I love my boy. Thank you for watching out for him.

Chris

“Wow, that is interesting.”

Edward nodded his head. “I don’t get why he just won’t clean himself up and get some help. He doesn’t seem like that bad of a guy, but he’s always doing stupid stuff.”

“It’s all he’s ever known,” I sighed. “I just hope Cooper doesn’t end up like him.”

Edward placed a hand on my hip and pulled me to him. His lips brushed across mine. “With people like you in his life, he won’t end up like his father.”

I smiled up at Edward as Molly yelled, “Ewww!” from across the kitchen. She thought kissing was gross. Edward told her it was and that she should never do it. She believed him.

Edward and I laughed before separating to finish up dinner.

~

Edward and I had been through a lot together. We dealt with some things that felt bigger than us and out of our control. There were many days that I thought I couldn’t do it anymore. I felt like I’d never have the life I thought I would.

Although I never planned on a marriage, a house with a big fenced back yard, and 2.5 children by the time I was 30, I was damn glad it turned out the way it did. Even if it all started out rocky, Edward and I had a beautiful family and a lot to be grateful for. Not a day goes by that I don’t feel lucky to have him in my life. He caused me a lot of pain and hurt in the beginning, but he saved me in the end and gave me a life and a family that I never imagined could be so perfect.

***I know I promised this forever ago, but unforeseen circumstances got in the way. I’m truly sorry. I hope you all enjoyed the story overall. I know it isn’t for everyone. Thanks for hanging in there with me and thank you for the reviews. <3

Of course, don’t forget to check out my next story - Elusive Reality - on FF and my blog.

Twitter: @ AllOrNothingKR
Facebook: AllOrNothingKR at gmail (dot) com

No comments: