Sunday, February 20, 2011

Elusive Reality - Chapter 7


CHAPTER 7

London, England - 2004

The following day we slept until the early afternoon. It was raining loudly outside. My flat was warm. Edward was warm. He was smiling at me when I opened my eyes. He took my breath away.

Before he kissed me, I slipped out of bed and went to the bathroom to shower. I didn’t realize how sore I was until I walked. It was a feeling I wasn’t used to, but I like it.

I showered and dressed before returning to the main living area. Edward wasn’t in bed where I left him. It only took me a moment to glance around my tiny flat to see that he wasn’t there at all. My heart immediately sank. He left. Oh God.

Just as I began to feel sick to my stomach, he came through the door, soaking wet. He held up a cardboard holder with two cups of coffee and pulled a bag of bagels out from under his arm. “There was a line,” he said, as he shook the rain from his hair. He was laughing.

I took a breath for the first time in nearly a minute. I think he saw the relief on my face.

“What’s wrong?”

I shook my head. “Nothing.” I smiled, trying to convince him.

“Oh. Oh no. You thought I left.”

I shook my head, trying to brush it off.

Edward set our breakfast down and took his coat off. “I should’ve left you a note or something, I’m sorry. I wasn’t expecting it to be so busy. I thought I’d be back before you got out of the shower...” he continued rambling.

“Edward, it’s no big deal. Really, I’m fine.”

His eyes met mine. His expression turned serious. “I saw the look on your face. I’m not going to do that to you, Bella.”

“I know, Edward. I’m sorry.”

We talked over breakfast and I stupidly brought up the fact that we probably shouldn’t have unprotected sex again until he got tested, just for my own peace of mind.

Edward laughed at me. I felt my face heat up with embarrassment.

“I’m sorry, Bella. I don’t mean to laugh.”

“Why is that so funny?” I asked.

“Because, it’s a little late now, don’t you think? I mean, if I had anything, I’m pretty sure after last night, it would be all up in you.”

That made me laugh. “Shut up. I wouldn’t normally do that. I mean, I shouldn’t have. I should’ve thought about it first, but I’ve never had to worry about it before, it was just Jake and I.”

“Well, I’m clean. Just so you know. You don’t have anything to worry about. I don’t normally have unprotected sex either.”

I raised a brow at him. I didn’t believe him.

“I’m serious,” he continued. “Occasionally, with regulars, but not often.”

My eyes got wide. “Regulars?”

Edward laughed. “Well, not regulars anymore.”

I tried to laugh, but it honestly made me nervous.

“Bella,” Edward said seriously, “I told you, you’re the only one I’m with right now. You’re the only one I want. Besides, I was tested recently. I’m clean.”

“Why did you get tested? I mean, did you have a symptom or something? Did you think something was wrong?”

Edward laughed at me again. “Yeah, Bella, I grew a third a nut and thought I should get it checked out.”

I launched part of my bagel at him. He continued to laugh and I did too, but I really wanted to know. Who just randomly goes and gets tested for STDs unless they have a reason to?

“I’m serious!” I said.

“I know, I know. Really, to be honest, I just did it last week. For you.”

I was confused. “Huh? For me?”

Edward nodded his head and looked down shyly. “I mean, I figured we were headed in that direction. I just wanted to be sure. I won’t lie, I’ve been around the block. I didn’t want to risk anything with you.” He looked up at me. “You’re too perfect. I just wanted to make sure I didn’t have any slut funk.”

I thought it was endearing what he said, what he did, but when he said slut funk in that cute fucking accent, I laughed so hard I nearly choked on my sip of coffee.

Edward laughed too.

~

Two weeks later, after practically being inseparable, Edward convinced me that I had to meet his parents. I wasn’t sure I was ready for that.

“Isn’t it too soon?” I asked.

“Too soon for what?” Edward responded from his kitchen.

“I mean, I don’t know. We’ve only been seeing each other for a couple of months. Not to mention, your dad is practically famous.”

Edward laughed. “Are you nervous about meeting my father?”

Although he couldn’t see me in the living room, I shrugged my shoulders.

“Bella, he’s seriously the nicest, most humble, guy you’ll ever meet. They’re driving me mad about meeting you.”

He came around the corner and joined me on the couch, handing me a soda. He was helping me study for an exam. Edward was incredibly smart, and kept that fact hidden very well.

“You’ve told them about me?” I asked.

Edward scoffed. “Of course I have. I can’t seem to get you off my mind lately.”

I turned my head towards him and raised an eyebrow in question. He grinned his perfect fucking smile. Seeing him smile always has the same effect on me. I feel like I cannot breathe, and like the world has been lifted off my shoulders.

He nudged me. “Come on, Bella, you know I like you.”

I smiled. “I know you do. I like you too. I guess I’m just nervous.”

“Don’t be. My parents are amazing. My sister is a bitch, but she’s out of town, so that’s a bonus!”

I giggled. The thought of meeting his parents really scared the shit out of me. It felt too soon, it felt like it made us go from casual to serious in a heartbeat. But Edward was serious. Serious is what I wanted. I couldn’t share him.

Edward’s hand covering my knee knocked me from my thoughts. “Hey, are you alright? I mean, you don’t have to meet them if you don’t want to. It’s just...they’ve never known me to have a girlfriend, so they’re curious.”

I swallowed and looked up at him cautiously. “They’ve never met your girlfriends before?”

“Bella, I’ve never had a real girlfriend before.”

I couldn’t, for the life of me, understand what he saw in me. Why me? How did I get so fucking lucky?

I exhaled a breath I didn’t know I was holding. “What if they don’t like me? What if I’m not good enough? I mean, I’m just a middle class American girl.”

“Don’t be silly, Bella. Please?”

I sighed.

“Please. My mother would be so proud of me.”

“Proud?” I asked.

“Yes, that I’d bring home such an intelligent and beautiful young woman.”

I rolled my eyes. “Oh, Edward. You’re so dramatic.”

Edward laughed. “I am not being dramatic! God, I wished you saw yourself the way I did.”

“I’m sorry. I’ll meet them,” I agreed.

Edward grinned and jumped right off the couch to go call his mother. He was the cutest fucking thing I’d ever seen. It made me nervous to meet his parents because, what happens after that? I’m only here nine more months. I was already so unhealthily attached to Edward. I didn’t understand how he couldn’t see all the problems lying ahead for us. We never talked about it. We just dove in, head first.

~

The following weekend, Edward picked me up promptly at 5:00 p.m. We were having dinner at his parents’ place at 6:30 p.m. I was a nervous wreck. I didn’t know what to wear, and went back and forth for a long time before I decided to just go out and go shopping. I didn’t want to be too dressed up, but I didn’t want to be in my usual jeans and t-shirt. I settled on a nice oyster colored lace pencil skirt that hit just above the knee. I paired it with a white blouse and ballet flats. It was nice, yet slightly casual.

I wore my hair down and curled it to the best of my ability. I even put on a bit more make up than usual. I looked like a lady. I think that is what I was going for.

“You look fine. If you don’t hurry up we will be late.”

“I’m coming!” I yelled from the bathroom. I applied a final coat of clear lip gloss and headed out.

We took Edward’s nice shiny volvo across town to the Cadogan Square area of London. His parents lived in a very nice area and had an extremely large flat. I was in awe of my surroundings as Edward led us up the lift and into a beautiful reception area. I could hear footsteps approaching.

“Edward! Darling is that you?” A petite dark haired woman came around the corner with a warm smile on her face. She immediately pulled Edward into a hug and kissed his cheek. “You look so good, honey. I never see you anymore.”

Edward gently pulled her from him and looked at me. “Bella, this is my mother, Esme. Mum, this is Bella.”

Her smile widened as she looked me up and down. She suddenly embraced me and I didn’t know what to do with my hands, so they just hung awkwardly at my sides.

“It’s so lovely to meet you, darling. I’ve heard so much about you.”

“Oh, thank you. It’s nice to meet you too.”

Edward’s mother hurried us through their large flat and into the kitchen where Edward’s father was. Everything in their home was white and clean and immaculate.

“You must be Bella!” A tall sandy blonde haired man turned to me. I knew his face already. I had googled him. Carlisle Cullen. CEO and President of Cullen Enterprises.

I was momentarily speechless. “Yes sir, it’s very nice to meet you.”

“Call me Carlisle,” he said as he extended a hand. I shook it firmly before Esme whisked me away for the grand tour as Edward called it.

Dinner was later served in the most beautiful dining room I had ever seen. The walls were ivory and all the accessories were some similar shade. The dining room table was dark mahogany with large leather wing back chairs. The table was much larger than all of us, but we all sat at one end. Carlisle was at the head of the table with Esme on his left and Edward and I on his right. They served veal parmesan that was to die for.

Although the Cullens were wealthy beyond imagination, they were surprisingly very down to Earth and funny. Esme showed me pictures of Edward as a child and I couldn’t help but laugh. He wasn’t always sex on legs. He definitely had his awkward moments growing up, but he was a very cute little baby. I saw photos of his sister as well. She was stunning, and had been since the day she exited the womb. She was in law school. I wondered why Edward said she was a bitch. I mean, she did look like one, but still. Her name was Rosalie. Based on the photos, I think she was slightly younger than Edward. They had both gone to prestigious private schools growing up. All of this was foreign to me. I felt uncomfortable when they asked about my childhood. I explained that my father was a cop and my mother was a nurse. The Cullens seemed to think those were very admirable professions.

Esme and Carlisle were a joy to watch. You could tell they were still very much in love. They were constantly touching and looking at each other. It was so unusual to me, as I never witnessed such affections from my parents.

As the night wound down, Esme and Carlisle were cleaning up in the kitchen. Edward had been reading on the couch, but had since fallen asleep. I kneeled down next to him and brushed my fingers through his hair. “Time to wake up, Edward. You have to drive us home.”

Edward’s lips parted into a grin and he pulled me from the floor, into his lap. He kissed me softly at first, but it quickly turned into a heated kiss, before I finally pulled away and shoved at him. “Not here,” I warned.

Edward laughed and kissed my cheek. “They like you.”

“How do you know?”

“I just do.”

I nudged him playfully and found my lips against his again. A moment later I heard his father clear his throat from the entry of the large room.

I immediately felt my cheeks heat up as I turned around to see his mother and father standing behind us. I immediately removed myself from Edward’s lap and apologized as I straightened my skirt.

Esme and Carlisle both laughed. “No need to apologize, dear. We were just going to see if either of you cared for dessert. Esme made a wonderful pecan pie.”

Edward was off the couch in a split second. I swear his stomach was a never ending black hole. I was stuffed, but stole a bite of Edward’s pie, foregoing a piece of my own. Esme was quite the cook. After dessert, Edward and I decided we needed to head back.

Esme was hugging me again. She was such a warm person. She smelled good too, like a mother. “It was so lovely to meet you, darling. I can already tell that you are good for Edward. Don’t let him run you off.”

“Mum!” Edward scoffed.

I laughed. “It was nice to meet you, too.”

“You’ll have to come back and see us very soon,” Carlisle added.

I nodded my head.

“You’re welcome anytime,” Esme concluded.

Edward and I drove back across town mostly in silence. I think he attempted to speak to me a few times, but I was lost in my thoughts.

We arrived back at my flat and Edward came in with me. I immediately went to change into my pajamas and then returned to the living area to see him standing by the door.

“Are you not staying?” I asked.

He shrugged his shoulders. “Do you want me to?” he asked uncertainly.

“Of course, I do,” I answered, closing the space between us.

“You were just so quiet on the way here. What were you thinking about?” he asked softly as he played with my hair.

I looked down and away from him. Tears betrayed me and I tried to hide them. I didn’t know what my problem was. Edward placed a finger under my chin and lifted my head. Our eyes met.

“Bella, what’s wrong?”

I wiped at my eyes quickly and shook my head. “It’s nothing, really.”

Edward just looked at me, waiting for me to continue.

“Your family, they’re just so perfect and warm, and inviting. They’re everything my family isn’t.”

Edward pulled me into a hug and rubbed little circles on my back. “Bella, they can be your family, too.”

I smiled, and squeezed him tighter. Contentment was my only conscious thought.

***Author’s Note: Thanks for reading and reviewing! More to come soon. <3

Twitter: @ AllOrNothingKR
Facebook: AllOrNothingKR at gmail (dot) com

***CHAPTER 8 - CLICK HERE***

No comments: