Sunday, March 13, 2011

Elusive Reality - Chapter 10


CHAPTER 10

London, England - 2004

On what was Thanksgiving weekend in the states, I got quite the surprise in London.

Edward had come by late the night before. He had been working full time now for his father and he often worked late hours. Edward liked to sleep in and work in the afternoon and put his business plans and presentations together in the evening when everyone had left the office. His father was the boss, so he could do what he wanted. Edward was still in his work clothes when he arrived. He looked so delicious in a suit. I hung up his jacket for him while he filled me in on his day and vice versa. We joked about already acting like an old couple.

Edward playfully threw me on to the bed and crawled on top of me. “Old couples probably don’t do this...” he said as he began to trail kisses down my body. I felt my insides turn all hot and liquid. I loved what he did to me.

The following morning I woke early to find myself curled up next to a nearly naked Edward, and I was wearing only his white button up shirt from the night before. I didn’t have to be on campus until 10:00 a.m., so I went back to sleep.

I don’t think I had been back to sleep long when I heard a knock at the door. I sat up and looked at Edward. He was still half asleep and I wasn’t sure he heard it. I crawled over him, receiving a smack on the ass as I went. He was definitely awake. I padded across the room and swung the door open without a second thought.

I gasped when I saw him. I turned a deep shade of red when he took in my appearance. We both stood there speechless for a moment. I swear I could hear my heart braking, and his.

“What are you doing here?” I asked quietly, hoping Edward had fallen back to sleep. Jake started to stutter and I heard Edward getting out of bed. I looked over at him, clad, in only his black boxer briefs. I begged him with my eyes to stay put, but I knew it was hopeless. I turned back to Jake.

“I...I missed you,” Jake confessed.

I gasped for air. He knew we had broken up. He didn’t know I was seriously involved, and sleeping with, someone else.

I shook my head. “Jake...”

I felt Edward’s arms wrap around my waist behind me. He kissed my cheek. I wanted to cry. I didn’t want to hurt Jake like this.

Jake’s mouth hung open. “Wow,” is all he said.

“Jake, I’m sorry. I had no idea you were coming.”

“I know, but really, Bella? You’re already fucking someone?”

“Already? Jake we haven’t been together in months.”

“Don’t talk to her like that,” Edward chimed in.

Oh no. No. No. No. I urged Edward to be quiet. I could see the anger building in Jake.

“How long has this been going on?” Jake asked.

Before I could open my mouth, Edward answered.

“Months.”

Jake stood awkwardly at my door, a bag in hand. It dawned on me then that he had probably intended on staying with me.

“Jake, just give me a minute, okay? I’ll be right back.” I closed the door gently, not shutting it all the way. I moved Edward away from the door.

“I’m sorry. You have to go.”

“What? Bella? Seriously? I thought you were done with him.”

“We are finished, but he’s still a really good friend of mine. I can’t hurt him like this. I can’t. Please, just go and let me talk to him. We’ll get things straightened out.”

“I’m not leaving you alone with him.”

“What? Edward you have to. I mean, he’ll probably stay here. He can’t afford a hotel.”

“Stay here? Where? I’m pretty sure there isn’t room for three in your bed,” Edward said. I could tell he was getting mad. I didn’t want him to be mad at me. I was so mad at Jake for showing up, but I didn’t want to completely destroy him either. I knew he was still in love with me and seeing what he saw, had to hurt.

“Edward, please, let me just work this out. I’ll call you later. I’ll stay with you.”

Now Edward looked hurt. I didn’t understand.

“Edward?”

“I spent all this time trying to convince you that I wouldn’t hurt you, that you were different. It never dawned on me, that you could potentially hurt me, break me, ruin me.”

I closed the small space between us, and wrapped myself around him. “Edward, no.” It hit me then, that Edward probably felt threatened by Jake. After all, he was taller than Edward and had a body to die for, but that didn’t mean anything to me. “There is no choice to be made here, Edward. He couldn’t do, or say, anything to make me want you any less. I’m yours. How could you doubt that?”

He sighed and finally embraced me back. He took a deep breath. “Okay, well, I need my shirt back, so I can go.”

I started to unbutton it right in front of him. His eyes fell from mine, down to my chest and waist, before coming quickly back up. “Don’t,” he warned before kissing me. Damn Jake. I wanted nothing more than to crawl back into bed with Edward and show him just how much I wanted him, and nobody else.

After Edward stopped kissed me, I disappeared into the bathroom and changed clothes. When I returned to the main room, Edward was fully dressed. We walked in silence to the door. We paused for a moment before I opened the door.

“Call me when you get off work tonight, and I’ll head over to your place,” I offered.

“No need,” he said, as he reached into his pocket. He pulled out his keys and took off the key to his flat and placed it in my hand.

I smiled. “Thank you. I’ll just head there after class.” I opened the door and before I knew it, Edward was kissing me. If it didn’t feel so damn good, I would’ve stopped it sooner because I knew Jake was watching. Edward’s kiss left me breathless. I knew he was doing it to prove a point in front of Jake, but it was so wonderful, I couldn’t be mad. His hand lingered in mine for a moment. “I’ll see you tonight. Call me if you need anything.” He squeezed my hand, and he was gone.

Jake was furious. He immediately came inside and started pacing the floors. He glanced around.

“Is this it, Bella? It’s tiny.”

“It serves its purpose,” I responded.

Jake walked around looking at things for a few more minutes before he finally sat down on my bed.

“So, you’ve been seeing this guy for months? When did you meet him?”

I took a deep breath. I needed to be honest. “Yes. I actually met him my first weekend here.”

“Is it serious, or are you just fucking him?”

I scoffed. “I don’t just fuck people, Jake.”

“What do I know anymore?”

I rolled my eyes. “Edward and I are together for now. I don’t know what the future holds.”

“Was I really that easy to forget?” Jake asked softly.

I felt my chest get heavy. I hated this. “I didn’t forget you. We’re still friends, I still want to stay friends. We’ve known each other our entire lives, Jake. I just don’t think we’re meant to be a couple. I don’t know what will happen when I have to return to the states, I just know that for now, I’m really happy with Edward. I’m sorry that it caught you off guard.”

Jake sighed and didn’t really respond.

“I have to get ready for class.” I excused myself to the bathroom.

When I returned, Jake hadn’t moved.

“I should be back around 3:00 p.m. You can make yourself at home. I’ll stay at Edward’s tonight.”

“You can stay here. Your bed is large enough. I won’t bother you.”

I sighed. “Edward wouldn’t appreciate that. He’s just a block away, it’s no problem.”

Jake scoffed. “Whatever.”

I turned to go to class and left him and his attitude alone.

~

When I returned home from class, Jake was gone. I wanted to talk to him. He left a note on the night stand that said he went sightseeing and would be back around 3:00 p.m.

I packed an overnight bag to take to Edward’s and continued to wait on Jake. I didn’t want to leave things they way they were. I wanted to make amends. I really didn’t want him to return home and tell my parents how he found me. My dad would freak out. I laid down and drifted off to sleep while pondering ways to smooth things over.

~

My eyes shot open sometime later when I heard my door open. The room had grown considerably darker. Nightfall. Edward.

I began to sit up but felt a heaviness that was keeping me down.

Edward looked down right enraged.

“Edward, what’s wrong?”

I realized then, exactly what was wrong. I felt his heat before I saw him. Jake’s arm was wrapped firmly around my waist and he was shirtless. He sat up without a care, as if nothing had happened. I was furious. He did this on purpose.

“Jake!! What the hell?” I shoved him off of me.

Edward went over to the drawer in my dresser that was designated “his” and started pulling his things out.

“Edward, wait! Stop!”

Jake laid back on the bed, a smug look on his face. Apparently things were going accordingly to his plan. I wanted to hit him.

I went to Edward and started putting things back in his drawer that he had dropped on the floor to collect.

“Edward, stop!”

I could see the anger in his eyes. His cheeks and ears were red. His skin was warm. He pushed me away. “I don’t even know you!” he screamed.

I burst into tears. “Don’t say that.”

Edward continued to gather his things. I turned to Jake, who was still smug. I couldn’t hold it in anymore.

“Get up, Jake. Get dressed, and get the hell out of here.”

Jake stood up and grabbed his t-shirt that was laying on the floor nearby. When he stood, I smacked him as hard as I could, right across his face. He looked a little stunned. It was one of the first times I had gotten to use my right hand, as I had just had my cast removed the day before. “How could you do this to me? You don’t love me! If you did, you wouldn’t be trying to sabotage my relationship with him. Just because he leaves, doesn’t mean I’m going to run back to you, Jake. Ever. You’ve really disappointed me. Grow up. You wonder why we didn’t work out,” I scoffed.

I turned and walked out, leaving them both standing speechless in my flat. I didn’t know where I was going, I just didn’t want to be there.

I decided to grab a coffee and go to the library to try study for an exam. It was useless. I sat in a study carrel and cried and watch my phone ring over and over. The little screen alternated between Jake and Edward’s names. I was too upset to talk to them, and the library wasn’t the place, anyway. I couldn’t believe that Edward said he didn’t know me, that he would believe what he walked in on was real.

I must have dozed off from crying and I woke up to someone’s fingers running through my hair. I was startled and sat up quickly. I knocked something out of Edward’s hands. I was embarrassed, people were watching us.

“I’m sorry. I thought you’d be here. I didn’t mean to scare you,” Edward whispered, picking up a small bundle of flowers from the floor. He brought me flowers. I started crying again. I stood and grabbed my things. I began apologizing profusely, unsure if I was apologizing to Edward, or the people in the library that were watching us.

We didn’t speak until we were outside.

“Bella, let me take you home, please.”

I nodded and followed him to his car. There was an awkward silence between us. I didn’t know what to say, and he didn’t speak. I wondered where Jake was. The fact that I still needed to smooth things over with him before he returned home was heavy on my mind.

We arrived to Edward’s flat.

“Am I being too presumptuous?” he asked.

I looked at him blankly. I didn’t understand.

“Will you stay with me tonight?”

“Oh, most likely,” I responded, not giving it a second thought.

We headed inside and routinely changed into our pajamas. I was starving. I couldn’t remember the last time I ate. I put the flowers Edward gave me in a vase of water. They were pretty multicolored daisies. He joined me in the kitchen. We starred at each other momentarily.

“Thank you.”

“For what?” he asked.

“The flowers.”

“Oh, of course. It’s the least I could do.”

“Are you hungry?” I asked. “Do you want some popcorn?” Edward rarely had food in his flat, but he always had popcorn.

“Sure.”

I turned towards his pantry when I felt his hand on my wrist. I turned to face him. He closed the small space between us. His hands went to either side of my face and his eyes met mine. I loved his eyes; I could get lost in them. I thought he was going to kiss me, but instead he was just very close to me when he spoke. The pain was evident in his features.

“I’m so sorry, Bella. I didn’t mean what I said.”

I nodded my head in understanding, and before I could speak, my stomach growled. We both laughed, and I made the popcorn.

We shared our popcorn in silence before retiring to bed. We snuggled in close together before I started the conversation that we had been putting off.

“What happened after I left?”

Edward took in a deep breath and blew it out before answering. “We just exchanged a few words.”

“That’s it?” I asked.

Edward nodded his head. “I wanted to kill him, but I thought I’d lose.”

I giggled. “He can fight.”

“Yea, it looks like it.”

“Do you know what he was going to do? His he staying at my place?”

“I don’t know. I told him he needed to apologize to you and go home and never come back.”

I sighed.

“What?” Edward asked.

“I’ve got to smooth things over with him before he leaves, just to appease him.”

“Why?”

“Because, if he tells my father what he saw, he will flip out. He’ll demand that I come home.” I sighed. “He’s going to be so mad at me. My dad, and Jake’s dad, are like brothers. Best friends. Jake will tell him all kinds of crazy shit to try to make me come back.”

“He’s such an ass hole. You are entirely too good for him. Did he ever hurt you? Physically?”

“What? No. He looks much more intimidating than he is. He would never. He’s a good person at heart, he’s just hurt. I mean, all our lives this is what everyone talked about, he and I being together. It’s what people expect. It’s what we expected. I feel bad for him, but he’s really being childish.”

“He is.”

We were quiet for a moment. I turned out the light.

“Bella?”

“Hm?”

I felt his fingers tracing my cheek bone. “I’m really sorry.”

“I know you are, it’s okay.”

“Even when Victoria showed up at my place, you still believed me. You trusted me.”

“I trust you. Maybe I shouldn’t, but I do.”

Edward sighed. “It scares me.”

“What scares you?” I asked, concerned.

“This. Us.”

My heart started racing. What was he getting at? “Elaborate.”

He sighed again and rolled over on to his back, away from me. I followed him, propping myself upon his chest. “Edward? What are you talking about? You’re scaring me.”

His hands covered his face momentarily and he let out a deep breath into them before running his hands through his hair. “I don’t know how to do this,” he finally responded. “The way I reacted...that’s not like me. I’d never felt such a vast array of emotions before, I didn’t know what to do.”

I didn’t understand. Was this him backing out on us? Was this him realizing he was in too deep? Before I could question him, he continued.

“I mean, I was so mad. I wanted to kill him. I wanted to hurt you for doing that to me. I felt alienated and so...so fucking hurt. Like, without you, there would be nothing. I would be nothing.”

I hadn’t breathed in nearly a minute and I was starting to feel light headed. “Are you saying we should cool off? Take things slower?”

Edward’s eyes shot quickly to mine. “What? No, I’m not saying that!”

I exhaled.

He sighed.

We stared at each other, never blinking.

His hand cradled my face. “What I’m trying to say is, I think I’m falling in love with you. I think I love you. I think I’ve never felt this way before and I don’t know what the fuck to do.”

I let out a little giggle, relieved.

“You’re laughing at me?” he teased.

I laughed again. “I thought you were breaking up with me!”

He laughed too. It was a beautiful sound. “I told you I didn’t know how to do this,” he said.

I smiled and kissed him. “You did a fine job. I’m just a pessimist.”

He smiled and flipped me over onto my back. My hands got lost in his mess of bronze locks while his lips explored mine. Everything about him felt so fucking good. After his lips left mine, he peppered barely there kisses down my neck as his hands slowly worked my shirt up. Every square inch of my body was on high alert, anticipating where it would next feel him, when it would next be brought to life. The insides of my wrists and thighs, behind my ear, the crook of my neck, the space between my breasts, he left nothing untouched. Watching and feeling him show his love for me was like nothing I had ever experienced before. While my body was screaming for attention in specific places, my mind lavished every little detail of his sweet assault.

When Edward finally entered me, I felt whole and complete, absolute. His eyes found mine and never left their depths until I was writhing beneath him. When I regained my composure I vowed to give him everything he had given me, and then some. I enjoyed nothing more than being on top of him and watching him watch me. He made me feel as if I were floating. I gripped his hands as they gripped my hips. I watched as his breath caught and his face contorted. I felt his grip tighten and watched his eyes close. I felt his release and saw the relief evident on his face seconds later. I collapsed onto his warm chest. “I think I love you, too.”

Edward suddenly tugged at my hair and titled my chin up so I could see his eyes. “I was wrong. I don’t think I love you, Bella. I know I do. There’s simply no other way to describe the feeling inside me when I’m near you.”

A grin spread across my face and my lips found his. There were fireworks going off in my mind. This was the good life. I was living the good life, with Edward.



***Author’s Note: Thanks for reading and reviewing! We get some EPOV in the next chapter. Stay tuned. <3

Twitter: AllOrNothingKR
Facebook: AllOrNothingKR at gmail (dot) com

***CHAPTER 11 - CLICK HERE***

No comments: