Sunday, November 14, 2010

Repentance - Chapter 31


CHAPTER 31:

More than a week passed before the police actually shared anything concrete with us. When we questioned them previously they told us they couldn’t release any more information or it could jeopardize their investigation.

They initially showed us a photograph of the abandoned car. It was really old, and gold in color. It meant nothing to Edward or I. We had never seen it before. The police said there were no tags on it. They believed it may have been purchased from a junk yard or auto auction, but they were still checking into that.

That same week, the police had us come in to the station to review some surveillance video. There was video of the person dropping Masen off at Pike Place. The guy just pulled up to the curb, got out with Masen, led him into the toy store and then ran out and took off. The video quality was grainy at best, but I had no idea who the guy was. He was tall and appeared to have dark hair, although he was wearing a baseball cap.

I shook my head. “I don’t know who that is.”

“I’ve never seen him before,” Edward chimed in.

“Are you sure? Look closer.” The officer zoomed in on the gentleman’s face but it still meant nothing to us.

We both shook our heads.

“What about friends, family, co-workers? You’ve never seen this guy before?”

Edward and I both said no.

“You know what? You should call that girl at the florist and have her look at this,” Edward said.

“Oh, that’s a good idea,” I offered.

“What girl at the florist?” the officer asked.

“Some guy, described as attractive, tall, and having dark hair, anonymously sent Bella flowers to her office a couple of weeks ago. One of the girls there, I think her name is Tina, she saw the guy. I wonder if it is the same person.”

“That would be really weird,” I said.

Edward gave the investigating officer the name, address and phone number of the florist and he said he would follow up with the girl and get back to us. In the meantime, they were still going to be trying to find out where the car came from and if the buyer could be tracked down.

Edward was insistent that I should know the guy from somewhere, otherwise, how would he recognize me, or know where I worked or lived? It just didn’t add up. He was driving me crazy about it.

Masen was screaming at the top of his lungs because I took his little guitar away because he needed to finish his dinner. Edward was on my case, and I was about to lose it.

“Edward, I don’t know! I’ve never seen him!”

“What about in any of your classes? Think back, do you remember anyone that looked like him in any of your classes? Has he ever come into your office?”

I dropped the dish I was washing loudly in the sink. “Edward! I told you! I don’t know who he is! I have never seen him before. Quit interrogating me! I’m so sick of this!” I stormed out of the kitchen and went to our bedroom and slammed the door. Masen instantly stopped crying and said, “Momma mad!” and then he laughed like it was the funniest thing he’d ever seen.

I sat on the edge of the bed and let the tears flow. I was so uncomfortable. I was huge and hot and I always felt disgusting. I was so beyond ready to have this baby out of me. I was angry that I didn’t even feel like I had really gotten to enjoy being pregnant with her because there was always something going on. I just wanted one relaxing evening where I didn’t have to feel the pressure of screwing up or keeping myself and my children safe.

Edward knocked on the door a few minutes later.

“Go away!” I yelled back to him.

He slowly opened the door and I looked around for the nearest object I could launch at him, but didn’t find anything, and even if I did I wouldn’t be able to bend over my enormous stomach to pick it up.

“Bella, I’m sorry. I didn’t meant to upset you. Can I come in?” he asked as he stepped through the door.

“You’re already in,” I responded.

He sighed. “Bella, I really didn’t mean to upset you. Why are you crying?”

He sat down next to me on the bed and started rubbing circles on my back. It felt good. “I’m just frustrated. If I knew who the hell was doing this, I would tell you. I’m just so tired of always being on edge and I’m exhausted. I just want it all to stop,” I cried, “and our baby still doesn’t have a freaking name!”

Edward tried to hide his laugh. He pulled me close to himself and hugged me. “I’m sorry I questioned you too much, it’s frustrating to me too. You don’t know what it’s like to have to walk out of here every morning not knowing if you’ll be here when I get back.”

I sniffled but didn’t really respond.

“And we can talk about the baby’s name tonight, I promise. We really do need to get started on it, we only have a few weeks left.”

“Thank God,” I mumbled. I was so ready to have her out, and I really wanted to see what she would look like.

“Why don’t you lay down for a bit. I’ll make sure Masen finishes his dinner, okay?”

I nodded my head and crawled back up on the bed. As soon as my head hit the pillow, it felt like heaven. Edward pulled a blanket over me and kissed my cheek.

Later that night after I woke up from my much needed nap, Edward had cleaned the entire apartment, did two loads of laundry, and bathed Masen. He looked exhausted.

“I really appreciate you doing all this. It takes a load off my shoulders,” I said as I sat down on the couch.

“That was my intention, Bella.”

“You poor thing, you look exhausted, though,” I teased.

He scoffed. “That’s hard work. Our child is a hand full, plus trying to keep him out of danger and doing all the housework. I thought law school was tough.”

I giggled. “Yea, try doing it all like that every day, with a full time job, and an unwanted 40 pounds on your stomach.”

Edward looked at me seriously. “I really don’t know how you do it. And what do you mean by unwanted 40 pounds? She’s wanted...” he said as he rubbed my overgrown stomach.

“Of course she’s wanted. I didn’t account for her 6 pounds. Those are in addition to the 40 I’ve gained that are unwanted.”

“Oh, please! Bella you have not gained 40 pounds.” Edward said as he pulled me closer to him on the couch and kissed my cheek. I swatted him away. I didn’t like to be touched lately.

“I have easily gained 40 pounds,” I said seriously.

“No way,” he countered. “Unless most of them are there,” he said pointing at my chest.

I laughed. “I wish!”

Edward tried to kiss me again. I pushed him away.

“What’s wrong with you? Are you still mad at me?” he asked.

I shook my head. “Edward, I‘m not mad at you. I just need space. I’m horribly pregnant and feeling very unattractive and I just don’t want to be touched.”

The hurt look on his face made my insides ache. “I’m sorry,” I said.

He looked away for a moment, his mouth hanging open, as if choosing his words, then he looked back. His eyes were burning holes into mine. “I wish you could see yourself the way I see you.”

I sighed. I didn’t want to ask how he saw me. I didn’t care. Nothing he said would change how gross I felt and how ready I was to meet our daughter and have her on the outside of my body. Truth be told, I was anxious about her birth. I felt safer knowing if someone were after me I could out run them, or hide or something. But, with my belly as large as it was, there was no hiding me. There was no out running the person after me or Masen. I just wanted her here. I wanted her tangible and safe in my arms. I just wanted to know she was real and healthy. I wanted to smell that new baby smell, and count all her little toes and fingers and see whose smile she had. Hopefully, Edward’s. I was lost in my thoughts when he spoke again.

“You’re so beautiful. Even your additional 46 pounds you insist you have hidden somewhere.”

I scoffed and rolled my eyes at him.

“Bella, I get that you don’t feel like you normally do, but don’t be such a downer. I love seeing you pregnant. It fascinates me.”

I cocked my eyebrow up at him, in question.

“I never got to see you before, with Masen. I always wondered what you looked like while you were pregnant. There were so many things I missed out on. I’m just enjoying the experience I never thought I’d have, of seeing my child grow inside the woman that takes my breath away every single day. So, yes, it hurts me when you don’t want me to touch you, or kiss you. You’re beautiful. You’re breathtaking. Yes, your body is rapidly changing, but only to accommodate our baby girl. Don’t be so hard on yourself.”

He words touched me. “I’m sorry. I’m selfish. I should’ve known what it meant to you.”

He leaned over and kissed my cheek. “I love you, always.”

I cracked a small smile and pulled him to me. “Want to name our baby girl now?” I asked and pulled back to look at him.

His perfect crooked smile I loved so much danced across his face and his eyes lit up. He reminded me of Masen getting excited about something. He jumped to his feet and went to our bedroom and returned with a baby name book.

We sat closely together on the couch, sifting through the book until nearly midnight, before we decided. I was so glad she finally had a name.


***Author’s Note: Sorry this chapter was a shorty. There are at least 2 to 3 more chapters and then the epilogue. Thanks for all the reviews! I promise a longer chapter next weekend! <3 Twitter: @ AllOrNothingKR Facebook: AllOrNothingKR at gmail (dot) com

**CHAPTER 32 - CLICK HERE**

No comments: