Sunday, September 19, 2010

Repentance - Chapter 27


CHAPTER 27:


The following morning Edward and I sat down with Masen and told him he was going to have a little sister.

“Like Emmie?” he asked, referring to Rose and Emmett’s daughter.

“Yes, just like Emmie,” Edward responded.

Masen’s eyes grew wide and he smiled. “Where is she?”

“She’s in mommy’s tummy. She has to grow and she’ll be ready to come out in a few months.”

Masen looked disgusted and I had to laugh. We showed him the ultrasound pictures. Masen poked and prodded at my baby bump before becoming uninterested and running off to play with his toys. We shared our news with Edward’s parents at breakfast.

“I knew it!” Esme beamed.

Carlisle laughed and nodded at Esme.

Edward and I looked at each other suspiciously.

“How did you know?” Edward asked.

“Because it’s obvious Bella has gained a little bit of weight and she’s got a healthy appetite! I’ve suspected it for a few weeks now, but I wanted you all to tell us in your own time.”

“It’s a girl,” I said shyly as I passed the ultrasound photos across the table.

Esme and Carlisle looked them over closely and talked about how they couldn’t believe they were going to be grandparents of three.

Esme beamed and reached across the table and took my hand. “Edward, Bella, we really are so happy for both of you.”

“Thank you. It was a bit of a shock, especially with everything else going on, but we are adjusting.”

Esme and Carlisle didn’t like to talk about Edward as he relates to the fraternity or James. Edward kept them informed, but it was obvious they felt deep regret and shame for what Edward had done and the people he had associated himself with.

Carlisle changed the subject as we finished breakfast. All I wanted to do anymore was eat and sleep. Carlisle and Esme were going into town to run errands and get groceries for Thanksgiving dinner and they took Masen with them to give Edward and I some time alone.

As soon as they were gone Edward started rambling off plans as we both sat down on the couch.

“So, I was thinking...” he started. “I get the cast off next week and I’m coming back to Seattle.”

“What?” I asked, shocked. “What about all your physical therapy? How will you get to your appointments?”

“Emmett said he would help me. He will adjust his schedule around me.”

Don’t get me wrong, I wanted Edward home. I wanted normalcy in our lives again but I wasn’t sure it was right to let someone else interrupt their life for him. “Edward, that’s not fair to Rose and the baby. Emmett shouldn’t have to rearrange his work schedule to meet your needs.”

Edward squeezed his eyes tightly closed and pinched the bridge of his nose while he took a deep breath. He was angry. “Bella, will you please just not fight me on this one thing. Please? For God sakes, I cannot be away from you and Masen any longer. I can’t. Please understand.”

“I just hate to burden other people with our problems,” I said quietly.

“It’s not a burden. I offered to keep Emmalie for them one night each weekend until my physical therapy was concluded so they could have a date night.”

“Oh, I see.” If I were being perfectly honest with myself, I was scared to have Edward back home. I was afraid of him being home alone all day by himself. I feared I would come home to him on the floor, in a pool of blood like I did a couple of months ago. I could never get those images out of my mind and even dreamt about them lately. My nightmares had really been haunting me lately, but I hadn’t told Edward about them.

“Don’t you want me to come home?” he asked quietly, unsure of himself.

My heart ached. I looked up at him quickly and reached over and grabbed his hand. “Of course I want you home, but I also want what is best for your recovery.”

He looked me directly in the eyes and I felt like he could see right through me. “Bella, you and Masen are what is best for my recovery.”

“Okay,” I agreed. “Come home.”

Edward grinned from ear to ear and tenderly brushed his lips against mine. “I promise I won’t be a burden. I’ll help out as much as I can.”

“Edward, you’re not a burden to me.”

“I know, I just don’t want you to feel stressed out about taking care of me, Masen, and yourself.”

“I’ll be okay.”

Edward kissed me again before we laid down on the couch and took a nap.

***

Emmett, Rosalie and Emmalie arrived later that day along with a few other guests invited by the Cullens, including Nanna Cullen. Rose and I had been helping Esme in the kitchen with Thanksgiving dinner. I noted that there was no help staff here this time. Esme was doing everything on her own. I also definitely took notice that Tanya and her family weren’t here. I knew her parents were really close friends of the Cullens and I felt bad that they hadn’t invited them because of me.

I caught Esme momentarily alone in the dining room as she was beginning to set the large table.

“Esme, are the Denali’s coming? I feel terrible that you feel like you couldn’t invite them...” I trailed off.

“Oh, Bella, a lot has changed since last year.” Esme looked down and distant for a moment. “They’re not welcome here anymore.” She changed the subject quickly before I could ask questions. “Could you go grab the cloth napkins from the kitchen?”

“Sure.” I went back to the kitchen, slightly confused. I made a mental note to ask Edward about it later. He was sprawled out in the floor in the living room playing with Masen and Emmalie.

About half an hour before dinner was served, I could tell something was up. Edward and the Cullens were acting kind of strange. They would whisper to each other and look at me. I was definitely out of the loop, but I wasn’t sure what I was missing.

I heard the door bell ring and I wondered who else was arriving. Carlisle met me in the foyer and put his arm around my shoulder. “Bella, I had a heart to heart with your father about Edward. It’s not easy for him, but he’s here for you. I hope you don’t mind.”

My eyes grew wide and instantly filled with tears. “Charlie’s here?” I asked.

Carlisle nodded and gently pushed me towards the front door. I swung it open quickly. It had been a while since I’d seen my father. I missed him. I missed the comfortable silence we shared. I missed knowing he was okay in Forks with out me. “Dad!” I beamed.

“Bells!” He gave me a big smile and a hug. I threw my arms around his neck. “I’m so glad you’re here.” He held me tightly for a moment. Charlie and I didn’t always see eye to eye about things, but with the hell I had been through lately, all I wanted was my dad to tell me everything would be okay.

Charlie finally let me go and we turned to go back into the house. We had gathered a crowd in the foyer, all watching our exchange with smiling faces.

“Papa!” Masen screamed and clapped his hands. Edward was holding Masen and he put him down so Masen could go to Charlie. Edward came to me, wrapping his arm around my waist and kissing my forehead. “Happy Thanksgiving, baby.” I smiled and buried my face in his chest as I watched Charlie and Masen’s exchange. Seeing Charlie again nearly brought Masen, and myself, to tears. I made a mental note to visit Charlie more often.

After the crowd dispersed Charlie and I were alone in the foyer. “You look different, Bells.”

Oh. I hadn’t told him. I’m sure there would be an announcement at dinner. I decided I should be the one to tell him, now. “Oh, Dad.” I took a deep breath. “Please, don’t be upset.”

Charlie gave me a strange look. “About what?” he asked.

“Dad, I’m pregnant. Edward and I are having another baby.”

His eyes grew large and he inhaled a deep breath. Before he could speak, I cut him off. “It’s a girl, Dad. I’m having a little girl.” I placed my hand over my lower stomach, making the loose fabric of my shirt cling to my baby bump.

Charlie stood there with his mouth gaping open. “Why didn’t you tell me?”

“I was going to. We hadn’t told many people. We just told Esme and Carlisle this morning. I only told Edward a few weeks ago. I guess I was just scared.”

Much to my surprise, Charlie pulled me towards him and embraced me in a hug. Tears sprung to my eyes and I looked up into his big brown eyes that matched my own. “You’re not mad?” I asked.

“Are you happy, Bella?”

I nodded my head furiously.

“Then I’m not mad,” he responded.

I squeezed him tightly. “Thanks, Daddy!” I kissed his cheek briefly before bouncing off to find Edward.

I found him and he hobbled into the library with me. “Were you crying?” he asked. “What’s wrong?”

I flung my arms around his neck, nearly knocking him over. He backed up to lean against a bookshelf because he still couldn’t stand on his own with out the crutches, that had since fallen to the floor. His arms wrapped around me.

“Bella, are you happy or upset? I can’t tell. Talk to me.”

I giggled and pulled back to look at him. “I told Charlie about the baby. He’s not mad. He said if I was happy, then he was happy,” I beamed. I was so nervous about telling Charlie. I don’t know what Carlisle said to him, but it worked.

Edward smiled wildly and kissed me. “See, you didn’t have anything to be worried about.”

I grinned up at Edward. I felt like a huge weight had been lifted off of me. My dad was becoming more accepting of my situation with Edward and Edward was coming home. “I’m so happy,” I squealed as I felt more tears spring up in my eyes, “and apparently emotional,” I laughed.

Edward laughed too. “I love you.”

I kissed him again briefly before we rejoined everyone for dinner.

It was the best Thanksgiving I ever remember having. Ever. Edward and I made our announcement, and with the exception of Emmett, everyone had expected it. Emmett was always on his own little planet. Rose was really excited that we were having a girl. She went on and on about all the things she could give us that Emmalie had grown out of. Everyone laughed and smiled and gave thanks, especially me. So much had changed in the last year and I had trouble letting it all sink in. Last year, this was the most uncomfortable situation I’d ever been in, at this very table. And now, this was my family.

I caught Charlie looking at me frequently and smiling. He didn’t want to admit it, but he was excited about having a granddaughter to spoil.

It was hard to watch Charlie leave that night, but he promised he’d be back for Christmas, and he would come baring gifts for both of his grandchildren.

Edward and I had put Masen down early and found ourselves alone and bored in his room. I was so happy and excited I couldn’t stand it. I couldn’t wait to have him home and to meet our daughter. I refused to let thoughts of James enter my mind. I just wanted to savor the good feelings. Edward and I made a couple of lame attempts at making love that night. It wasn’t easy with a full length cast on his leg. He couldn’t really move and that cast was horribly uncomfortable against my skin. We eventually managed, and had a few good laughs in the process.

Later that weekend when I was getting our stuff together to leave, we were updated by one of the detectives at the local police department. Apparently a passer by obtained the tag number of the blue car that ran me off the road and provided it to police. It wasn’t owned by James. In fact, detectives in Portland spoke with detectives in Seattle who paid James a visit the same night the accident occurred. He was in Seattle, and he had an alibi. They questioned the owner of the vehicle who said he had been in the area on the day of the accident, but wasn’t aware he ran anyone off the road. He said he had swerved to miss an animal, but never saw another car.

I didn’t buy it. I was so sure it was James. Maybe I am crazy. Either way, I didn’t have a way back to Seattle. Edward wanted to go right out and buy another car so I could take it back to Seattle, but the more we talked about it, we decided to wait until he got home. We figured we needed a larger, more family oriented, vehicle since the little one was on the way.

Esme agreed to drive Masen and I back to Seattle. I hated to be such an inconvenience to her, but she said she didn’t mind. Edward wanted to come along for the ride, but I knew it wouldn’t be comfortable for him sitting like that for so long, so I insisted he stay behind.

“We’ll be fine. I promise. You’re mom will get us there safely.”

Edward sighed and nodded his head. “I get the cast off on Wednesday and I’ll be there on Thursday, okay?” He cupped my face in his hands.

I nodded. “Okay.”

Edward leaned down and kissed me. It was slow, and sweet and full of need. When he tried to pull away, I followed after him, not quite ready to let him go.

“We better get going, dear. I’d like to be home before dark,” Esme interrupted.

I stopped kissing Edward and planted my feet back firmly on the floor. I sighed at the loss of contact.

He kissed me again briefly. “I love you. Be careful. Call me when you get there.”

“I will. I love you, too.”

Edward said goodbye to Masen and we made our way to the car to head back home.

**CHAPTER 28 - CLICK HERE**

No comments: